Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

Problems changing photo location in iPhoto 11

4917 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 23, 2012 8:07 PM by Joshua Braun RSS
Brian999999 Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Feb 25, 2012 1:02 AM

Hi,

Something strange is happening when I try to change the location of photos (either single or batch change) in iPhoto 11.  Changes do not take anymore.  When I select a photo (or photos) in an event, click the "info" button, find a new place, select this place - the new place does not update.  In other words when I go back to the photo, the old place is still there.

The other day, changes seemed to be taking and I spent a few hours updating the location in many photos (from a recent vacation), now even in all those photos, the location info has reverted to the old info.

I find this incredibly frustrating!

I have searched on this support forum and the directions I have found indicate doing what I described in the first paragraph above.  But as indicated the changes are not taking.

I also tried resetting the iphoto preferences by trashing the com.apple.iphoto.plist in the library preferences folder as one user suggested in this forum.  But that did not work either.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

iPhoto '11, Mac OS X (10.7.2)
  • Terence Devlin Level 10 Level 10 (121,695 points)
    Feb 25, 2012 1:10 AM (in response to Brian999999)

As a Test:

Hold down the option (or alt) key and launch iPhoto. From the resulting menu select 'Create Library'

Import a few pics into this new, blank library. Is the Problem repeated there?

• Terence Devlin Level 10 Level 10 (121,695 points)
    Feb 25, 2012 2:31 AM (in response to Brian999999)

It's probably because the New Library forced iPhoto to rebuild the cache.

Regards

TD

• Joshua Braun Calculating status...
    Mar 23, 2012 8:07 PM (in response to Terence Devlin)

Terence,

It's been a long time since I rebuilt an iPhoto library - but your suggestion was right on the money.  Thanks!

I too had been irritated by places not allowing the place pin to be turned yellow and adjusted/moved.  (It would move, but then not stay.)  I found many people describing the same problem in various threads dating back at least 6 months.  It took several hours to chew through my 25000 image library, but when iPhoto finished rebuilding the thumbnail cache, places worked as described in Apple's document:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2550

I also found this:

http://iphoto.maccreate.com/2010/01/03/how-to-rebuild-the-thumbnail-cache-in-iph oto-11/

(image below from the article) which was a good brief summary of what boxes to tick to get things going.

Josh

/___sbsstatic___/migration-images/179/17939312-1.png

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.