Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to stop Textedit versioning

Hi,

I would like to know if there is a way to stop Textedit to save my file in versions and lock it up now and then.

I usually access some text files over the network and this is causing some irritating problems for me.

I have Time machine also OFF. Cant really fine any other setting so i hope its possible.

MBP 15" i7, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on Feb 25, 2012 5:48 AM

9 replies

Feb 26, 2012 1:29 AM in response to Linc Davis

First thanks for the replies.

I backup using my Drobo server where i copy everything of importance. The files are also shared between several computers both pc and mac.

So thats why i have this problem since i open a text file over the network and the net goes up and down when i go to sleep. This causes problem with the autosave.

Even when i close the textfile before going to sleep next time i open text edit sometimes it open my text file so i'm always nervous my changes from other computer get lost.

I can see the benefit of autosave feature on a local file but when working online from several computers its just in the way 😟

@Carolyn: thanks for the link, it didnt help me with the problem but i understand the feature a bit better. Actually i shut down the lock feature as it causes problem i think. I mean what if the document is locked and i edit it from my pc. Then i go to mac and want to start editing it. I pretty much never know how these things will work. I wish Apple didnt decide how i want to use everything in such detail. Its good they innovate new features but i should be able to turn it on and off.

Hope its a bit more clear why i want to be able to turn this feature off now. So far i dont see a way but maybe there is a secret command throught shell?

Feb 26, 2012 2:36 AM in response to shadow

shadow wrote:

I can see the benefit of autosave feature on a local file but when working online from several computers its just in the way 😟

Apple didn't think this through. They should have foreseen that autosave and versioning would lead to problems like this. I'm hoping they make autosave and versioning optional in Mountain Lion but until then I'm not holding out much hope.

Apr 22, 2013 10:45 AM in response to shadow

I am now in a state of absolute rage over this. Previously, I could go to our template langauge, edit it for the communcation at hand, copy, paste, and move on. As long I did not save the original Text Edit doucment, all was fine and it would be as it always was whenever I opened it again.

Without telling it to save, it overwrote the original file and large portions of our vetted language was lost! And our network drives do not supoort versions!

There is no option to revert, and I never "saved" changes, but now large swaths of language are lost from the server document. ***?!! This is not a new "feature." It is sabotage.

Feb 1, 2014 8:43 AM in response to shadow

Maybe the words "autosave" and "versioning" are such wonderful buzz words that Apple forgot the word "ergonomics". If I'm editing a critical file in TextEdit and lose a paragraph or a word, I want to close without saving. There is no "close without saving" feature, so I close the file. And if I'm not aware of the new workflow I will be hosed. Because the file just closes. Then I have to reopen the file and revert to a previous version.

That's three extra steps and a head twist compared to the old way of doing things. Bad ergonomics. Did I say, "bad ergonomics"? Well, now the new way of working if you want to close without saving is to choose "revert to last saved". In my opinion, this user unfriendly and dangerous compared to the old warning "do you want to save this document" when closing it!

Not only is this way of doing things contrary to the way that applications have worked on every operating system since day one, it is also bad ergonomics. Apple, fix this! Find a way to do it in the "Apple friendly" way, but don't screw it up for users who want to be protected from autosave when all they want to do is close the doc.

How to stop Textedit versioning

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.