Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Turn off 5Ghz channel?

Have the latest TC but downloading files and viewing videos much slower on 5Ghz than 2.4. Is there a way to turn off the 5Ghz channel? if not, my MBP automatically connects to the 5Ghz channel. Is there a way to make the 2.4Ghz the default channel the laptop connects to?.

Time Capsule-OTHER

Posted on Feb 25, 2012 6:18 AM

7 replies

Feb 25, 2012 6:22 AM in response to Lawrence Chai

BTW, I also have an earlier TC daisy chained to the new TC to serve as a wireless router as well. Even this 2nd TC has faster download speeds than the primary TC on 5Ghz. I don't understand this as it happens even if the MBP is in the same room 20 feet from the routers.

I do have an ethernet cable running out of the TC going to a Powerline adapter.

Feb 25, 2012 7:56 AM in response to Lawrence Chai

You cannot "turn off" the 5 GHz band, but you can assign a different name to it, so your computer(s) will connect to the 2.4 GHz band if that is what you want.

As you have seen....connecting to 5 GHz does not necessarily mean that you will have a faster connection.

Your post did not include info on the operating system that you are using, so we do not know which version of AirPort Utility to recommend for you to do what you want to do.

Post back with that info and we will reply.

Feb 25, 2012 8:21 AM in response to Lawrence Chai

Open Macintosh HD > Applications > Utilties > AirPort Utility 6.0

Click Edit

Click on the Wireless tab

Click Wireless Options

Enter a check mark next to 5 GHz Name and this will automatically add "5 GHz" to the current wireless network name that you use.

Click Save and the Airport will restart with the new settings in place

Your devices will now connect to the 2.4 GHz band

If you want to connect to the 5 GHz band in the future, you will need to "point" your computer at that network

Feb 25, 2012 5:53 PM in response to Lawrence Chai

On each Mac.....

Open up System Preferences (gear icon on the dock)

Open Network

Click on AirPort or Wi-Fi on the left

Click Advanced at the lower right of the next window

Locate the listing for the 2.4 GHz network and make sure that it is at the top of the connection list. If it's not..drag it there

Move the 5 GHz network down to the bottom of the list

Click OK, then click Apply

Turn off 5Ghz channel?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.