Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Almost all radio stations missing from radio list

For some reason, with the exception of the last three categories (70s, 80s and 90s) all categories of music no longer have radio stations categorized beside them. When I open up a category (for example, "Golden Oldies" or "HIp Hop/Rap") no longer is there a graphic but just the white text at the top describing the category. What happened to all the Apple TV provided radio stations, and how do I get them back? Thanks for any assistance!

AppleTV 2, Windows 7

Posted on Feb 25, 2012 7:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2012 7:34 AM

Me too...no radio stations at all..

21 replies

Feb 25, 2012 9:37 AM in response to kmadrid

Me as well. Just got my apple TV and thought I would put on the radio dice I use it a lot in iTunes and all of the categories are empty :( I have Internet connection as Netflix and YouTube work fine. I tried a reset but alas nothing. I am in Canada but I can get the stations in iTunes. I guess I just have to air play them :(

Feb 25, 2012 11:02 AM in response to kmadrid

Same problem here. I'm in the USA and the only station lists that will load are Blues, Classical, Comedy, Reggae / Island, and Sports.

Strangely enough I don't use the radio feature much, so this is not killing me other than the fact that I'd like it to work when I want to jump into some Rock music that perhaps I haven't heard before.

On a positive note, our parakeet is enjoying the classical music and I think he even liked the Blues station a little! 😉

Feb 27, 2012 3:59 AM in response to kmadrid

I am having a problem as well on 10.7

I get the following error when I try to expand most catagories.

An error occurred while contacting the radio tuning service. Check your Internet connection, or try again later.

Not on all catagories, but most. My other computer is having the same problem, but not all the same catagories. It is running 10.6

Both computers are completely up to date software-wise

Because it is not all catagories it is not my connection.

Also one of the stations I listen to via the eclectic list I can listen to with no problem if I listen direct

Feb 28, 2012 9:33 AM in response to kmadrid

I have a graduate degree in telecom engineering and have been coding for 44 years, so I am pretty methodical in my trouble shooting. I have an Apple TV 1, ATV 2 and three Macs (Mac Pro, Mac Mini, and Macbook Pro). All are exhibiting this issue, both over a direct ethernet connection, and over WiFI. This occurs whether I use Verizon FIOS as my internet Service provider, or Clear. I have installed and reinstalled all relevant software. I also have Leopard, Snow Leopard, and Lion installed (on different machines) and all have this issue So it's not a wireless issue, and not a Provider issue. I have the problem on 5 separate devices, both dedicated (ATV) and ancillary (i.e., iTunes on a Mac computer). It is not system wide, as I too can get certain categories of stations (such as the bad 70s Retro I am listening to now). A prime example is the Eclectic category, which is entirely nonfunctional as a category, and my favorite iTunes/ATV internet radio station KCRW 24 Eclectic (Awesome station!) is in my favorites list and will not work. Surprisingly, I can go to KCRW Eclectic 24 through their web based program and access it fine - it is just through iTunes and ATV, which both use the same engine, that I am unable to access it. All other streaming services of all types, from Netflix to Spotify to Hulu to Pandora work fine.

So Issue is

Not Ethernet v WiFi issue (Connection Type)

Not Provider related (Verizon FIOS v Clear)

Not Equipment Kind Issue (ATV v access by Mac Computer)

Not OS related (Leopard v Snow Leopard v Lion)

Not Streaming Issue (Other Streaming services all Fine)

Is iTunes Related (Some Stations work, others do not & most damning, KCRW Eclectic 24 accessible through Web based channels, but not through ATV or iTunes, which use the same Apple code)

My conclusion is this is and Apple Issue, at the head end, in the code that drives radio station access in iTunes, and I certainly hope Apple is monitoring this and will do something about it!

Almost all radio stations missing from radio list

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.