Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Play stereo audio as mono" disabled after restart

I've been using the "Play stero audio as mono" option in Universal Access, but ever time I restart, the setting is disabled. As far as I know, this is the only setting that does this. I also have the "Balance" slider bar all the way to the left in the Sound control panel; this persists through restarts. What can I do to fix this?

iMac9,1, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Feb 25, 2012 7:29 AM

4 replies

Apr 7, 2012 3:24 PM in response to Philmac88

This setting seems to be controlled by

<~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.universalaccess.plist>

<~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systempreferences.plist>

Maybe they are corrupt. Try moving them to the desktop and restarting. They should be re-created; but you'll have to set again various preferences kept in the latter file.

Apr 9, 2012 3:04 PM in response to Philmac88

Philmac88 wrote:

the setting still resets itself after restarting.

Then I'm stumped. I don't know why or what to do.

You could go around the issue by running a script at login to set this option. Here's a script I found on the net:

--script begins

on run

tell application "System Preferences"

activate

reveal anchor "Hearing" of pane id "com.apple.preference.universalaccess"

end tell

tell application "System Events" to tell process "System Preferences"

clickcheckbox 2 of tab group 1 of window 1

end tell

quit application "System Preferences"

end run

--script ends

(It requires the "Enable access for assistive devices" pref to be enabled.)

Save it as an app in a convenient location (eg, <~/Library/Scripts>), and add it to your Login Items. It will run every time you log back in. Note that this is a toggle—if the preference is on, it will turn it off.

"Play stereo audio as mono" disabled after restart

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.