Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I forgot my macbook password

Hi everyone,

I forgot my macbook air and now I can't install updates, download apps, change system settings...etc. Can anyone help me to reset it?

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Feb 25, 2012 9:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2012 9:28 AM

Boot to the Recovery HD:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears. Alternatively, restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager screen appears. Select the Recovery HD and click on the downward pointing arrow button.

When the menubar appears select Terminal from the Utilities menu. Enter resetpassword at the prompt and press RETURN. Follow instructions in the dialog window that will appear.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 25, 2012 9:28 AM in response to firebolt88

Boot to the Recovery HD:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears. Alternatively, restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager screen appears. Select the Recovery HD and click on the downward pointing arrow button.

When the menubar appears select Terminal from the Utilities menu. Enter resetpassword at the prompt and press RETURN. Follow instructions in the dialog window that will appear.

Feb 25, 2012 1:14 PM in response to firebolt88

After resetting the login password, you have to do something to your keychain. Presumably you don't have the keychain prompt upon initial login anymore, so go into Applications > Utilities and open Keychain Access. Then reset your keychain in the Keychain Access > Preferences > General window. As a result, your saved passwords will be gone and you will receive a few prompts for various applications that are trying to access them. Remember to select "remember this password in my keychain" when entering the passwords into the prompts.

For more information on resetting original admin passwords, see http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1274.

I forgot my macbook password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.