Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does Vuze constantly "drain" my memory?

Hi all, this problem has been vexing me for a year or two now and I thought I'd throw it out to you brilliant people for help. I have 8GB RAM. When I download torrents with Vuze, my free memory reduces to nearly nothing (like 17MB), my inactive memory increases to, say, 4.4 GB, and my Mac slows to a crawl. The only way I can "fix" it is by closing Vuze entirely and Verifying/Repairing Permissions, which usually "brings back" a good 4 gigs of free memory and lowers inactive back to about 150MB, but I have to do this constantly and repeatedly to keep my Mac able to multitask while Vuze runs.

If it helps, the Disk Utility verify/repair logs are always the same (or very similar); here's an example:

2012-02-25 10:38:38 -0800: Permissions differ on “System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Support/Rem ote Desktop Message.app/Contents/Resources/pl.lproj/UIAgent.nib”; should be -rw-r--r-- ; they are drw-r--r-- .

2012-02-25 10:38:46 -0800: Permissions differ on “System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Support/Rem ote Desktop Message.app/Contents/Resources/pt_PT.lproj/UIAgent.nib”; should be -rw-r--r-- ; they are drw-r--r-- .

(it goes on further)

Note that, even when I haven't used Vuze and do a permissions verify/repair, the logs are the same. In the forthcoming example, I quit Vuze, then verified/repaired permissions. Then I did it a second time, and the logs are thus:

2012-02-25 11:24:19 -0800: Permissions differ on “System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Support/Rem ote Desktop Message.app/Contents/Resources/pl.lproj/UIAgent.nib”; should be -rw-r--r-- ; they are drw-r--r-- .

2012-02-25 11:24:29 -0800: Permissions differ on “System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Support/Rem ote Desktop Message.app/Contents/Resources/pt_PT.lproj/UIAgent.nib”; should be -rw-r--r-- ; they are drw-r--r-- .

(again, it goes on further)

The same.

Is there something (relatively uncomplicated...I'm not a programmer, y'all) I can do to "fix" this/stop it from happening? Any help--in layman's terms, please!--is appreciated.

MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Feb 25, 2012 11:36 AM

3 replies

Why does Vuze constantly "drain" my memory?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.