Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does Safari use so much memory?

Below is a screenshot of the "Safari Web Content" process using 2.57GB of ram! When I took a screenshot yesterday at 1.7GB I thought that was a lot!

It seems Safari will use as much ram as can be thrown at it. I had a lot of windows and tabs open, but really doubt I had more than a few hundred megs of content loaded in those windows and tabs, never mind 2.6GB!

My experience with Macs and OS X would pretty much be perfect if it weren't for Safari. It brings my system down to a slow grind because the virtual memory/swap is always thrashing so badly.

Apple goes on about the "magical" performance updates they make to Safari - well guess what? They mean nothing when Safari has all your ram tied up and the swap file is thrashing like crazy.

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro (15-inch Glossy), Mac OS X (10.7.3), Mid 2010

Posted on Feb 25, 2012 12:30 PM

7 replies

Mar 14, 2016 4:14 PM in response to Doc_

Hunting for a solution... I ended up with an old thread from 2012. And here we are in 2016. Safari still memory hungry.

The solution for me – I'm on El Capitan 10.11.4 and Safari 9.1 – was... turning off top sites for new windows and safari tabs + restart Safari. Doing this Safari doesn't go crazy on memory. At the moment it only takes op 35 mb. When top sites are turned on it'll slowly eat all memory above both 2, 3, 4 gb. Then it'll slowly start to eat up the remaining around 26 gb harddisk space... until nothing is left. A restart solves the problem – but Safari will repeat the top sites memory problem.

Safari has a problem with memory (ram + harddisk) when top sites are turned on for new windows and / or new safari tabs. It probably has something to do with your top sites... if some of them are memory hungry. Note... I have no safari plugins installed. I deleted all in the hunt for a solution.

Why does Safari use so much memory?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.