Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why getting printer errors with Lion

Since getting my new computer with Lion, when I print to my Lexmark laser printer, I keep very briefly getting an error in the printer queue of "Printer does not support IPP/2.0. trying IPP/1.1". The pages do print after the error message.

The laser has the latest printer firmware update from Lexmark and I have the latest printer drivers from Apple.

I am assuming Lion is implementing new printing protocols that aren't recognized by the printers. Even behind the curve Adobe products give the same message, so would appear it is the OS that is calling for IPP/2.0, not the software. The error doesn't appear with the software running under Snow Leopard partition.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2), 2.8 GHz Quad core, 6 GB ram

Posted on Feb 25, 2012 9:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2012 9:39 PM

One solution would be to create a new printer queue, but instead of using IPP for the protocol, select HP Jetdirect-Socket. This is also known as Port 9100 or RAW Port and is the default for Windows when using Standard TCP/IP printing.

2 replies

Dec 11, 2013 2:26 AM in response to PAHU

Same problem with Mountain Lion, with latest driver from App store. Mountain Lion automatically chooses the driver.

Easiest fix appears to be to select the default or highest priority protocol at the printer's web page. Bonjour will then automatically use that protocol instead of IPP.

See Apple fix for Windows - which recommends LPD Printing (BINPS) or 9100 Printing. I read that 9100 RAW uses HP JetDirect Socket.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts2236

My HP CP4025DN supports many incoming protocols, just not IPP/2.0. If IPP is chosen in the printer as highest priorotyprotocol, then that's what Bonjour installs.

Why getting printer errors with Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.