Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't convert Lossless files to iPod version

I know this has been asked and answered for iTunes 9. I hope there is an easy solution for 10.5.3

I have imported hundreds of songs at Apple Lossless, I'm a stickler for sound quality. My iPod classic has plenty of room to load them.

My wife got a 16gb iPhone and wants tio use it as her only iPod.

I need to create lower quality versions of the songs I already have, say 128 or 160 versions. When I highlight songs and go to Advanced, the option to create an iPod or iPhone version is grayed out. I used to be able to convert and store two versions. Is this no longer doable?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Feb 26, 2012 8:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2012 8:47 AM

Yes it is possible.

iTunes: How to convert a song to a different file format - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1550 - including information about different formats and discussion about compression.

Topic: Need to convert mp4 to mp3 - Zevoneer's post on converting songs - http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=9244740

I don't think the "convert to ipod" format is presented unless you are actually synching to a device at the time, but you can convert to 128k AAC at any time if you don't mind ending up with a lot of extra copies in naother format.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 26, 2012 8:47 AM in response to brwnsfan

Yes it is possible.

iTunes: How to convert a song to a different file format - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1550 - including information about different formats and discussion about compression.

Topic: Need to convert mp4 to mp3 - Zevoneer's post on converting songs - http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=9244740

I don't think the "convert to ipod" format is presented unless you are actually synching to a device at the time, but you can convert to 128k AAC at any time if you don't mind ending up with a lot of extra copies in naother format.

Feb 26, 2012 9:05 AM in response to Limnos

Mu ipod is hooked up right now and no Convert command is available, even though i have highlighted files I wish to convert.

I normally don't sync, have just dragged files to my ipod for years now. Are you saying I have to be in a mode where I am syncing files for this to work?

Some of the music on my ipod has bben deleted from iTunes. If I go to syncing files, will I have to satrt over and lose files from my ipod thatb ren't currently in my iTunes?

Feb 26, 2012 9:16 AM in response to brwnsfan

OK,

My iPod is still hooked up

Opened Preferences, General, Import Settings. Choose AAC, clicked OK, clicked OK in the General settings window.

Highlighted Files I wanted to convert from Lossless to AAC. Went to Advanced and still all three of the commands to convert to

Create iPod

Create iPad

or Create AAC

all three are still grayed out.

Am I doing something wrong or must I be syncing instead of dragging? If so, see previous question.

Feb 26, 2012 10:26 AM in response to Limnos

Got it.

A little embarassed to admit this but when I was trying to convert, I may have been looking at my ipod library at that time, not the main itunes library.

The constant switching back and forth might have had me there, not certain. Went back through and did it all again, now it's convertin tracks for me.

Thanks for the help.

Feb 26, 2012 12:17 PM in response to Chris CA

True, but I wanted to create a new duplicate file, one for her iPhone without losing the Lossless file. I use that one to burn CDs for friends who play them on their home stereos. I'm 56 and still use real stereo equipment rather than iPod players and ear buds when I want real fidelity.

Good stuff in my car to, you can hear a difference in the file quality if you are playing it on good components.

Feb 26, 2012 4:47 PM in response to brwnsfan

brwnsfan wrote:

Again, true. It really doesn't matter tha much if I create a duplicate file, I can throw them out after transferring to my wife's phone.

True.

But if the intent is simply to put smaller files on the iPhone, then the convert option is far simpler.

All you need to do is sync.

No need to select the songs, convert them, trasnfer them, find them then delete them.

But you have it working so good luck!

Can't convert Lossless files to iPod version

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.