Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't add device in Audio MIDI setup

I can't add any devices in Audio MIDI Setup (Apps, Utilities); in the Aggregate Device Structure list in the Aggregate Device Editor, when I click the + my devices (Built-in Audio 1 and 2, and an M-Audio Duo) briefly show, then disappear; I can't select anything to aggregate.

How do I fix this?

Thanks!

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8), Late 2005 G5 PPC

Posted on Feb 26, 2012 8:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2012 11:01 AM

I'd try this...

Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at bootup), run Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities, then highlight your drive, click on Repair Permissions, it will try to repair your Disk Directory while the spinning radian is happening, so let it go.

Move these files to the Desktop for now...

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.MIDI.<12digitHex#>.plis t

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.audio.AudioMIDISetup.plist

There may be more than one of the 1st one.

Reboot

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 26, 2012 11:01 AM in response to slornx

I'd try this...

Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at bootup), run Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities, then highlight your drive, click on Repair Permissions, it will try to repair your Disk Directory while the spinning radian is happening, so let it go.

Move these files to the Desktop for now...

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.MIDI.<12digitHex#>.plis t

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.audio.AudioMIDISetup.plist

There may be more than one of the 1st one.

Reboot

Feb 26, 2012 5:34 PM in response to BDAqua

Moved the files to the desktop, did Repair Permissions from safeboot, rebooted, tried to add devices in the Aggregator, same issue; the devices just quickly blink into sight. I then quit MIDI Setup, moved the ByHost files back into that folder, didn't do this w/ the other one cuz there was a newer version (created by Disk Utility i guess), and tried to add devices again, same issue.

This process was useful; I've been in the habit of doing a permissions repair every couple mo., though I generally do it when logged in, not from safeboot. Yesterday I got Alsoft Disk Warrior 4.4 and used it to build a new directory - yet when I did the repair permissions today, it found 20 or so things needing repair...

Feb 26, 2012 7:24 PM in response to slornx

Ignore repeared Permission Repair statements, once you do it that's fine.

To find out if it's system wide or user specific, try this...

Open System Preferences>Accounts, unlock the lock, click on the little plus icon, make a new admin account, log out & into the new account.

Does MIdi work in the new account?

Feb 26, 2012 8:18 PM in response to BDAqua

That fixed it - for all accounts! Thanks much BDAqua - if you've got another moment, I'm curious as to what was causing the problem and why creating a new account would solve it system wide.

If this sheds any light; for security, I have a regular user account w/ no admin rights that I use to do everything I use my Mac for, and a separate Admin acct that I just use to install software, updates, etc. I only tried to add the device under my regular user ID, as I usually get a prompt when I need to log in as the Admin to do something. But adding the device doesn't require Admin rights, so ...

Feb 27, 2012 5:31 AM in response to BDAqua

Weird. Good intuition on your part, though. I checked my Disk Warrior log, and this isn't a problem it created, but it's not one Disk Utility fixed, anyway. In the 6+ years I've been using Macs this is one of the few issues I've had, and it was really easy to fix. I'll remember this if something like it ever happens again.

May 11, 2012 4:49 AM in response to slornx

Hi, I have had the exact same problem since upgrading from Leopard to SL - and I found this easy fix on YouTube (!!) today: "go to macintosh hd/library/preferences and delete com.apple.audio.AggregateDevices.plist". This solved it at once, no need for restart/log out or anything (other than restarting Audio Midi set-up). Finally, I now may record my external equipment via my MOTU into Logic together with Max 6 (soundflower), Live 8 etc. 😝

Can't add device in Audio MIDI setup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.