Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New mac mini- Server ap is not accepting admin username and password when launching the ap

Hi,

I settup my new mac mini server and it seemed to be working fine. I set up the server using the server ap and could access all the options just fine. Then I installed all the available Lion updates and now when I launch the server ap, my admin user name and password are not being accepted. I can change my password just fine in the Sytem Prefs, but even the new password is not accepted by the server ap. Is there some way this password could be different? Thanks!

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Feb 26, 2012 1:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2012 2:03 PM

This is a known feature. I've seen it several times. Even though if talks about upgrading to Lion it also applies to new installs

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3960

3 replies

Feb 26, 2012 2:09 PM in response to marksv

Hi Marksv, that worked a treat. Thank you very much for your help.

Remarkable that I can buy a brand new machine, do software updates to the very latest version of the OS and have to go under the hood with Terminal and start pasting in bits of code off the interweb in order to access a basic function. "Thanks to OS X Lion, it’s never been easier to install, set up, and manage a server".... hm, indeed.

Feb 26, 2012 2:42 PM in response to Robin1974

Your welcome. I ran into this the very first Lion Server install I did. About 3 weeks after it was launched. After fiddling for a while I just did a nuke and pave. And it happened again after a while. I finally found someone in Enterprise Support that knew what was going on.

Depending on what you are doing there are other hidden "gems". Found one the other day regarding using Outlook with the mail server. Outlook will not authenticate SMTP when setting up an account using the Apple Mail Server. Two phone calls to Enterprise Support yielded no results. Turned out there is ONE line in the postfix main.cf that causes the problem. One would think that Apple would fix something that casues the most popular email client in the business world (not that I like Outlook) to not work.

New mac mini- Server ap is not accepting admin username and password when launching the ap

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.