Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can not enable Air Port in new MacBook Pro?

Hey all - I recently purchased a new MacBook Pro and can not connect to any wireless networks except my home. The Airport "bars" appear on the top nav bar but when I click on them, the only option there is to turn wi-fi off or on - not Air Port. When I try to use a wi-fi network outside of my home it just gives a "connection timeout" error after a couple of seconds (which I have tried from various locations, all the same result).

I have tried going into System Preferences> Network to try and fix it but Air Port doesn't even appear there (only Wi-fi, Ethernet, Firewire and Bluetooth). I have also disabled firewall settings to allow incoming networks. When I go to the Air Port Utility it's all about the "base station" - which I do not have, nor have had with previous MacBooks in order to connect to outside wi-fi networks.

I don't see this type of problem popping up in the forums so I am wondering if I am missing something really obvious...thankful for any advice!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Feb 26, 2012 2:37 PM

8 replies

Feb 26, 2012 2:43 PM in response to zeedub

I'm confused....

First you say this:

1. "Hey all - I recently purchased a new MacBook Pro and can not connect to any wireless networks except my home."

Then you say this:

2. "When I go to the Air Port Utility it's all about the "base station" - which I do not have"

How can you connect to your wireless network at home when you don't have one?

Are you trying to Join someone's else's network around you?

Is there a "Lock" on their network...?

This would explain why you can't join their network...

Provide us with a little more info......

Feb 26, 2012 2:55 PM in response to Joseph Kriz

This is why I'm wondering if I'm asking a stupid question! 🙂

I have a modem/router in my house and no problems connecting to wi-fi here but I can't connect to wi-fi anywhere else. Everywhere else I try, including locked networks with the correct passwords, I just get a "connection timeout" error after a few seconds.

Feb 26, 2012 3:01 PM in response to zeedub

OK.... I understand now....

There should be no reason why you can't connect if you actually have the correct password or it is an open network...

If you can connect at home, you should be able to do it on the road...

How many different ones have you tried?

Are there any known FREE networks that you know of in your area that you can try or have tried?

Feb 26, 2012 3:03 PM in response to zeedub

Apple did the heavy lifting to get Airport into the marketplace in consumer products. Misson Accomplished.

But now more folks are referring to it as WiFi, so Apple has caved in and now refers to wireless stuff, including Airport, with the generic Wifi name.

WiFi now = Airport in the same way Kleenex = tissues and scotch tape = any transparent tape on a roll.

Airport Utility IS for configuring Apple branded Base Stations. You cannot use it.

System Preferences > Network > WiFi ...

... is where you configure and re-configure your WiFi to work with networks outside your home network.

Feb 26, 2012 3:27 PM in response to zeedub

I have never had to go into Network preference settings to Join a free wifi network....

In the Airport menu in the upper right of your screen in the menu bar, select the network you want to join..

It has always been automatic for me...

It joins if it is not locked........

Again, never had to go into Network preferences to join a free network.

Feb 26, 2012 3:54 PM in response to Joseph Kriz

Me either. when i try and get into the network I select, I get a connection timeout error. That's the only reason I have been trying to see if there was some kind of strange thing checked in network prefs (like a firewall setting) or some other setting out of whack. Guess this will just remain unsolvable until I feel like driving 5 hours to the nearest genius bar!

Can not enable Air Port in new MacBook Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.