Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Auto capitalization in Lion

This is a system wide issue. It happens in Pages, Mail, TextEdit, Stickies, Safari -- basically every Apple application in which you enter text on Lion.

I asked this before a few months ago, and thought I had a solution, but I'm wrong and it's driving me nuts. Significantly, it DOES NOT occur in Word.

If I type a period somewhere in the middle of a sentence, it automatically capitalizes the next word. As an example, if I type this:

John Doe Jr. Bought a new car

It capitalizes the B in bought by itself. That is incorrect and I have to go back and fix it.

It fixes itself if I backspace and correct. So, if I write

John Doe Jr. bought a new car

I initially get the capital B, but then I can go back and fix it. Then, even if I choose to use a different word after the period, the first letter will be lower case, not upper. This auto-capitalization only happens the first time, in other words.

There does not seem to be a system wide preference for it and none of the application preferences work. It's driving me up a tree.

Can anyone make a suggestion?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.3), 2.93 GHz quad core i7, 12 GB RAM, 1 TB HD

Posted on Feb 26, 2012 6:05 PM

12 replies

Feb 26, 2012 6:14 PM in response to Rysz

Rysz, here is the problem. Every time I type a period, the next word is capitalized. So I can't continue typing. I have to STOP and go back and correct it and make it lower case. I want to be able to continue to type after I type so and so is coming over at 3 p.m. Instead of having to change and make the i lower case and not capital.

Auto capitalization in Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.