Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I delete a song from iTunes permanently

I am in some sort of weird loop and cannot actually delete songs I purchased from the iTunes store.

1. I purchased the song on my iPhone

2. It automatically got downloaded to my iTunes on my Mac

3. I decided I don't want the song - I hit delete - it asks me to confirm if I want to delete from iCloud as well - I say yes - it asks me if I want to move the file to the trash - I say yes - and it temporarily disappears

4. Next time I sync my phone, it shows up again. No way to delete it directly from phone.

What's strange is shouldn't it delete it on my phone since I'm deleting it from iTunes before I sync?

Anyone else having this issue? Help! I am scared to buy new songs now as I don't want to be stuck with them forever in case I don't like them..

Posted on Feb 26, 2012 6:55 PM

2 replies

Feb 27, 2012 12:28 PM in response to moquito

With iOS 5 on your phone, you can drag your finger across a song's listing and tap the red delete button to delete it from your phone. Then, delete it from iTunes on your computer before your next sync.

It will still show up in your iTunes past purchases list, but you can hide it from view.

iTunes Store: Hiding and unhiding purchases, http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4919

Oct 4, 2013 5:09 AM in response to Jim VanLeeuwen

Quick question because I am having the same problem however if I hit delete a Cloud appears next to it on my phone and it stays in the available downlowds when I sync. I too have Christmas Music that I want to delete however when the Cloud items show up on my phone when I am traveling since there is no way to get internet on the road the phone just continues to play nothing. I have had to downlowd every single song onto the phone to prevent it from doing nothing and then skip over everything while I am traveling.

How do I delete a song from iTunes permanently

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.