Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Winclone Restore without Boot Camp Assistant?

The Lion Installer seems to have an issue with my Windows partition under Boot Camp on Snow Leopard 10.6.8 and won't proceed with the installation with the inability to create the recovery partition. I also understand that Lion doesn't like Windows XP and has dropped support for it.

I've found Winclone, though, with the intention to backup the Windows partition, delete it and restore it back when and if I successfully install Lion. My question is whether it is possible to just create a partition in Disk Utility and restore it back without the need to go through the Boot Camp Assistant. Could be a long shot, though.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Early 2009

Posted on Feb 26, 2012 7:13 PM

3 replies

Feb 27, 2012 2:20 AM in response to jengajam

Different approach and direction.

Install Lion on an external drive.

use Setup Assistant to import your current system settings and files

clone your newly updated Lion back to the internal drive

keep the external as backup and for Lion Recovery Mode

---

sometimes shrinking your HFS volume on the internal drive can help with Lion

NO to creating a partition with Disk utility or to WinClone.

Take a look at Camptune from Paragon and their other partitioning and backup tools, or even Windows 7 system restore image (that you can use from Windows 7 DVD)

Feb 27, 2012 6:21 AM in response to jengajam

One problem with installing any version of Windows other than 7 with Lion's Boot Camp is that there is no driver support. If you want to use Winclone, you might want to use Boot Camp Assistant to make the partition without going through with the actual install. You may not have a workable boot loader if Boot Camp Assistant doesn't partition the drive.

Feb 27, 2012 7:03 AM in response to The hatter

Looking at the circumstances, I decided to not risk my data and complicate things. I think I'll just obtain Windows 7 and port my data over.

Will it make more sense to:

Backup data and delete Windows XP partition, install Lion and run BCA to install Win7

or

Upgrade XP partition to Win7 while on Snow Leopard before installing Lion (assuming it doesn't mess with the inability to create a recovery partition)?

Winclone Restore without Boot Camp Assistant?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.