You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PC thinks my iPod Touch is a camera

Whenever I plug my iPod Touch into its USB port, the PC (which is running WindowsXP) gives me a window with 3 choices. I can either "launch" 1) the ABBYY FineReader (which looks like scanning software), 2) the Microsoft Scanner and Camera Wizard, or 3) Picassa 3. I suppose there is a 4th choice which is to do nothing and that's what I usually do.

I recently upgraded to iTunes 10.5, which might've been a mistake. I don't recall whether my iPod showed up under DEVICES with the previous version, but I don't think I ever had any trouble finding it. Now, DEVICES doesn't even show up on the left-hand column in iTunes. I followed some instructions that were suggested for a question similar to mine. The result was that iTunes wanted to "Restore" my iPod, i.e. restore it to its factory settings and (I presume) wipe out any apps or content I already managed to put on it. It didn't show the "name" of my iPod or any other information about it, like I remember seeing on a similar screen on my PC before (most likely in the previous version of iTunes).

If I look under My Computer in Windows, the iPod is visible and even shows the "name" we gave it the way iTunes used to. The trouble is that My Computer recognizes it as a "Digital camera." If I double-click on it, I see the two pictures I've transfered from the PC to the iPod but nothing else. If I try dragging an mp3 file into that window, nothing happens.

So I suppose I have 2 questions:

1) How do I get my PC to recognize my iPod Touch as an iPod instead of a camera?

and

2) How do I get DEVICES to show up in iTunes without wiping out the existing Apps and downloaded content?

What I would really like to do is move some music and some podcasts from my PC to the iPod Touch, but right now all I can move are pictures. That is why this question has the title is does and I'm hoping answers to the above questions will allow me transfer mp3 files, which is my ultimate goal.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer!

iPod touch, iOS 4.2, Model MC086LL

Posted on Feb 26, 2012 7:18 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2012 7:23 PM

iOS: Device not recognized in iTunes for Windows

2 replies

Mar 2, 2012 10:45 AM in response to roaminggnome

I went to the link you posted and followed all the steps. I was thrilled to see that it worked! I don't recall whether my PC still recognized my iPod Touch as a camera or not, but DEVICES did show up in iTunes and it recognized the name of my iPod Touch.

Now, though, everything is back the way it was. The PC tells me I have a camera connected via USB and iTunes doesn't even have DEVICES listed in the left-hand column.

I'm wondering if this is the problem: I had the iPod on until the battery was so "low" that it stopped. I didn't press and hold the button on top. In fact, until I read the article you linked to, I didn't even know you could turn the iPod on and off that way. I would only press it once until the screen turned blank and simply pressed the Home buttom to turn it back on. Until I read that article, I thought the Home button was the On button.😮

So now my question is this: Should I ALWAYS turn the iPod off by pressing and holding the button on top until I see the red slider on the screen?

Thanks!

PC thinks my iPod Touch is a camera

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.