Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't find preferences for iChat to change the type of account (i.e. to switch to AIM instead of Yahoo, ect)

Where can I go to find the preferences for iChat? Initially I set iChat up with a Yahoo messanger account and would like to switch to a Jabber account or any other type of account actually

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3), ichat problems

Posted on Feb 26, 2012 9:57 PM

6 replies

Feb 26, 2012 10:05 PM in response to LilSmith86

To specify your name and password:

Choose iChat > Preferences, then click the Accounts icon. If you're using an AIM account, enter your screen name and password. Your password is added to your keychain so you don't have to type it every time you log in to AIM.

For Mac.com accounts, enter your full email address (for example, tclark3@mac.com) and password. Your .Mac password cannot be longer than 20 characters.

For AOL Instant Messenger accounts, enter your AIM screen name (for example, tclark3001) and password.

For Jabber accounts, enter your full Jabber ID (including the name of the server, for example tclark@jabber.org) and password.

You can use iChat to communicate with people who use Mac.com, AIM screen names, or Jabber IDs. If your friends are using older versions of the AIM software, they might need to get a newer version of the AIM software in order to send messages to your Mac.com screen name.

Feb 27, 2012 12:56 PM in response to b j t

Hi,

Using a Messages pic with Messages crossed out and iChat typed in (It's in the same place)

User uploaded file

iChat 4 How to on Adding Acdditonal "Accounts" (or deleting and adding something else)

User uploaded file
8:54 PM Monday; February 27, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Lion 10.7.3)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Message was edited by: Ralph Johns (UK)

Can't find preferences for iChat to change the type of account (i.e. to switch to AIM instead of Yahoo, ect)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.