Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Multiple Wi-Fi base station roaming network

I lived in a 3-beded apartment and I had been using the Time Capsule (2TB - 4th generation) as my primary Wi-Fi base station with two AirPort Extreme as the extended Wi-Fi base stations.

User uploaded file

But then the throughput rate of my AirPort Extreme in room 3 was unstable and very low. So over the weekend, I bought an AirPort Express and wanted to work on a roaming network instead, hope to achieve the best throughput between the base stations.

I connected the AirPort Extreme (4th generation) to the DHCP Services modem, then to the Time Capsule and AirPort Express, leaving another AirPort Extreme (5th generation) extend the network wirelessly (only possible setup due to the Ethernet cabling). When I configure the 1st AirPort Extreme to bridge mode (off), it show me an error occurred when re-starting it and it wont work after that. Its the same when I configure it to 'Creating new network'.

User uploaded file

So I switch it back to 'Wireless Extended Network' mode, it worked but then showing a throughput rate of 250 Mbps, therefore, its NOT connected directly to the ethernet. And when I connect the AirPort Express with the ethernet cable in Room 3, my entire wireless network crashed, showing error with the IP address. Then back to normal when I unplug the ethernet cable from the AirPort Express and re-started.

Need some advise on how I can get this 'Roaming Network' setup work properly. What is the best solution? All firmware had been upgraded to the latest.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Feb 26, 2012 11:02 PM

7 replies

Feb 29, 2012 8:45 AM in response to dhl1010

You'll have to recreate your network from scratch. Disconnect all devices (including printers, hard drives, computers, etc.) from the network, remove any reference to your old network in them (in Network/Wireless) and Keychain Access. Then turn everything off and hard reset your base stations. Turn on one of your computer and set up in Airport utility (I do it manually). Make sure to create a WDS network, with only one BS distributing a range of addresses and the others as bridges (i.e. with DHCP off). Make sure the main knows about the remotes (in WDS, need to click on + and enter the hexadecimal code--MAC address?--appearing under each of the physical base station selected as remotes; the remotes also need to know about the main). Also make sure your devices are all on the same channel (there may be other settings to check as well). Then turn on all of your other devices one at a time and connect them to the network so that they each get their own IP address (if not set statically). It may also work to use a brand-new name for your network to make sure old settings don't get in the way of your new network.

Good luck,

Feb 29, 2012 4:26 PM in response to MichelA

This is what my current network diagram.

User uploaded file

Currently the Airport express is turn off and the two AirPort Extreme is in 'Wireless Extended Network' mode.

I am aware that WDS operates only at "g" wireless levels and cuts the bandwidth in half on the entire network. Is there any other way to configure my network? I still want to have the faster "n" speeds on the AirPort Extreme.

Thanks.

Feb 29, 2012 4:54 PM in response to dhl1010

In a Roaming network, all your base stations that are hard wired to the main router need to have the same network name, same password, same security, same everything.....

That is the roaming network.

You want all your devices set to "Create a wireless network" with the same settings mentioned above.

Now, for the Airport Express in your diagram, that would be set to "Extend a wireless network"...

Do not setup a WDS network as you already know slows the entire network down and cuts speeds in half....

Use AirPort Utility to configure the Wireless Network Name, security, and password on each Wi-Fi base station to be exactly the same.User uploaded file

Feb 29, 2012 9:54 PM in response to Joseph Kriz

Hi Joseph Kriz,

Just check with you, do I need to reset all my AirPort Extreme, Time Capsule and AirPort Express back to factory setting, then do the roaming network one-by-one from my DHCP Services modem? .... using the same network name, same password, same security, same everything.

This way, I will still have the full IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n and speed?

Dec 16, 2013 9:37 PM in response to Joseph Kriz

I know this thread is older however, I'm having a problem with roaming. I've setup multiple base stations before with no problems however, now, unless I turn-off | turn-on my wifi, it stays connected to the original base station I first associated with.

If I go next to another base station in another room, it won't associate with it unless I bounce my connection. I can be right next to it and have a much better signal but it never will automatically associate.

MacBook Pro Mid 2012 Retina 10.9

From what I have read, associating with a new AP is in the client. Are there settings that I can chance in Mavericks to always pick up the strongest signal?

Thoughts?

Multiple Wi-Fi base station roaming network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.