Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Birthdays duplicated in iCal, but not in iCloud.com

Have just noticed that birthdays in iCal on my Mac are duplicated. Deselecting 'Birthdays' (Subscription calendar) in iCal removes ALL occurences of birthdays. The iCloud.com #calendar shows no duplicate and all birthdays seem to be on display; however, selective birthdays are not appearing in Calendar on my iPhone 4S (but, otherwise, there are no duplicates!).

Anyone any ideas on what has gone wrong? The fault(s) are certainly recent, as I know all was in order on Friday last (24/2/2012).

Mac mini (Early 2009), Mac OS X (10.7.3), 2GHz 8GB

Posted on Feb 27, 2012 4:14 AM

13 replies

Feb 27, 2012 7:36 AM in response to Jan C

The problem on my iPhone was sorted out by deleting the date of birth of the individual from Contacts (on the iPhone), saving the contact, then reinstating the individual's date of birth ... which brought back the entry in Calendar (iPhone and iCloud) and (duplicated) in iCal's Birthdays calendar. The problem, then, is 'merely' the duplication of all birthdays in iCal.

Feb 27, 2012 12:26 PM in response to Csound1

I was about to reply that I hadn't any contacts in the 'On My Mac' account, as that was the way I set it up when I went on to iCloud some weeks ago. However, before making the assumption that all was as before, I checked ... and there were all my contacts duplicated on my Mac!! How frustrating is that?! All those contacts now deleted, contacts in iCloud confirmed as existing and duplicates miraculously removed from iCal! Good call, Csound1, but the reason for the problem is now staring me in the face: the duplicates were ONLY on the Mac, so the fault had to lie with something on the Mac Thank you!

Feb 27, 2012 2:26 PM in response to Csound1

Perhaps I didn't make it clear enough in my earlier reply: when moving to iCloud, all the contacts in the 'On My Mac' account were deleted and - until a couple of days ago - I had no problems with duplicate (Birthday) entries in iCal. As that account cannot be deleted (I tried again this evening, to no avail), deleting all its contacts is all that can be done. So, there was no error on my part (in the first instance), but something put the contacts back in there!!

Feb 27, 2012 2:30 PM in response to Jan C

Jan C wrote:

Perhaps I didn't make it clear enough in my earlier reply: when moving to iCloud, all the contacts in the 'On My Mac' account were deleted and - until a couple of days ago - I had no problems with duplicate (Birthday) entries in iCal. As that account cannot be deleted (I tried again this evening, to no avail), deleting all its contacts is all that can be done. So, there was no error on my part (in the first instance), but something put the contacts back in there!!

OK, not your error, but it is very very common (read around this forum), you're not synchronizing via iTunes or any other method? (iCloud is not a sync system so exclude that)

Feb 27, 2012 2:39 PM in response to Csound1

In iTunes, everything but 'Notes' is deselected for syncing. I sync my iPhone (over wifi) for Apps and Music and backup to iCloud - but that shouldn't have any bearing on my problem with iCal and Address Book. Anyway, it no longer matters, as the problem has been resolved and, if it happens again, I know where to look first; I will also be more conscious of what I am doing leading up to a reoccurence so will either be able to put it down to something I have done (or not, in which case I'll be complaining to Apple!!).

Aug 14, 2013 9:50 AM in response to Jan C

I have the same thing happening, and I definitely don't have any contacts On My Mac. I only have contacts in iCloud. If I delete the birthday for a contact, both birthdays in my iCal calendar disappear. If I add a birthday for a contact, only one birthday appears in my iCal calendar. But for all the contacts that were in my iCloud contact list when I recently switched laptops (and used the Migration Assistant to do so), I have two birthdays junking up my calendar. I really don't want to go through and delete and re-add every single birthday in my contact list. Argh.

Birthdays duplicated in iCal, but not in iCloud.com

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.