Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone not i.d.'ing callers after resetting all settings

I used Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings on my iPhone, and now incoming phone calls are displayed as the telephone number, rather than the matching name from my Contacts.

Thought it might have something to do with International Assist, but turning that on or off doesn't change this.

FWIW, I notice that the telephone numbers in my Contacts app are (now?) simply a string of 10 digits, rather than being formatted. I'm pretty sure it was formatted at one point.

I don't recall having to set anything initially to enable caller i.d., so I don't know what setting might have been reset.

Suggestions? Thanks!

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Feb 27, 2012 8:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2012 8:43 AM

If you are a Verizon user, try this:

1. Open the phone and dial *228. This is a Verizon over-the-air programming number.
  2. When the system answer press 1 for "Program or activate your phone"
  3. Wait for the call to disconnect. You should get a prompt stating "Settings updated."
  4. Double tap the Home button to bring up the recently used apps list at the bottom. Locate the Phone, Message, and Contacts apps, swiping if necessary, and press and hold until they jiggle then press the red minus sign to stop them.
  5. Wait a 3-5 minutes.
  6. Try your phone to see if it's fixed.
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 27, 2012 8:43 AM in response to Chap Harrison

If you are a Verizon user, try this:

1. Open the phone and dial *228. This is a Verizon over-the-air programming number.
  2. When the system answer press 1 for "Program or activate your phone"
  3. Wait for the call to disconnect. You should get a prompt stating "Settings updated."
  4. Double tap the Home button to bring up the recently used apps list at the bottom. Locate the Phone, Message, and Contacts apps, swiping if necessary, and press and hold until they jiggle then press the red minus sign to stop them.
  5. Wait a 3-5 minutes.
  6. Try your phone to see if it's fixed.

iPhone not i.d.'ing callers after resetting all settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.