Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yahoo! iChat Login Fails every Day

Every day i start ichat and all the accounts log-in just fine. except the yahoo account, which keeps asking me for a password, which even if entered properly won't get accepted. after a while i eventually gave up and stopped using ichat for Yahoo.

strangely enough a few weeks later i tried it again and it logged me in without a problem, which lasted exactly for a day. and then i was back to the same behavior.

i figured that what "made it work" was to log-in to yahoo's website with my Y! ID and then iChat would also allow to login properly. So now, every morning i first log in to yahoo's website, then open ichat and it works ... yet it is VERY annoying.

any other yahoo IM client (adium or yahoo messenger) do not have this bahvior. has anyone figured out how to get ichat to log into yahoo without all those issues?

thanks in advance,

patrick.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7), i7, 8GB

Posted on Feb 27, 2012 8:06 AM

13 replies

Feb 27, 2012 1:07 PM in response to Patrick J

Hi,

In the Applications/Utilities open Keychain Access

Check the Yahoo entry (Double Click it)

In the access tab check iChat is allowed to access the info>

User uploaded file
9:07 PM Monday; February 27, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Lion 10.7.3)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Feb 27, 2012 1:27 PM in response to Patrick J

HI,

I just checked mine adn I have three !!!.

The first Application one only lists the Yahoo App. (Yahoo! Messanger)

The second (internet password and list Yahoo and name) lists only All apps.

The third (Yahoo and name and full email and listed as Application Password) list two instances of of ichat, imagent and something called internet accounts. (they show as lower case)

As you do not mention imagent I would add that to the one that lists the iChat one.

If that does not work change the access to Allow All.

User uploaded file
9:27 PM Monday; February 27, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Feb 28, 2012 8:34 AM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

hello ralph --

you are right, there are THREE of them. in my case all of them are the type "application password". i tried what you suggested, and even went as far as allowing all applications access, however the problem remains.

basically, i need to sign in to yahoo on their website first, after that i can simply use iChat without a problem. this seems to suggest that it is something about either the client staying signed in, or that something happens (or doesn;t happen) properly when i close ichat...

another thing i noticed is that only one of the entries in keychain gets a new time stamp, so it seems like it was accessed properly.

a little bit at a loss here. does it work for you?

thanks,

patrick.

Feb 28, 2012 1:17 PM in response to Patrick J

Hi,

I have moved over to Messages Beta and have no issue logging in the Yahoo Account I have.

I had no issue in iChat 6.0.1 before I changed over.

I am using a Yahoo Name (not MSN/Hotmail/Live) as these did not appear to be accepted in iChat.

(However it makes me wonder if logging in the Yahoo app would let me log in a MSN name by using your "method" ?)

EDIT

It seems I cannot get the Yahoo App to sign in using my Hotmail ID (I understood it could)

Bang goes that idea.

User uploaded file
9:17 PM Tuesday; February 28, 2012

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Apr 2, 2013 2:55 AM in response to fknandrew

HI,

Are you using iChat 6 or Messages in Mountain Lion ?

It seems in both versions the info in the App Menu > Preferences > Accounts > Yahoo Account only lists the Account info and nothing about the server and ports it is using.

The Yahoo option works by using a different plug-in to iChat (or Messages) compared to a Jabber or an AIM Account and is not using the IMAgent that the others use.

The Yahoo account logs in on port 443 to api.login.yahoo.com

It also logs in to a Buddy Image servers to get Buddy pics on port 80 plus two other servers that are probably to do with Status of your Buddy List and their developer server.

Most routers would have these ports open.

The Mac Firewall, if ON, should be set to Allowed Signed Software and iChat should be in the list

You should also see IMAgent and IMServicePlugInAgent for the Yahoo option listed.

User uploaded file
10:55 AM Tuesday; April 2, 2013

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.3)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Sep 24, 2013 12:21 PM in response to thatkidfromcanada

Hi,

iChat 6 and the Messages app in Mountain Lion can login and Text chat with other Yahoo users.

There is a separate Yahoo Messenger for Mac that you can download.

Other apps such as AdiumX and ProteusX can also login to the Yahoo servers.

You can also login via a web browser.

I would check out an alternative login route before changing the password.

Go to the Applications/Utilities folder and open Keychain Access.

Find the Yahoo entry and double click it.

Then click the access tab in the info panel that appears.

This should list any App that you use the ID with or it should be set to allow Any app to access the info.

As well as the iChat app it should list things like IMAgent (or iChatAgent if pre iChat 6) and other ancillary part to the iChat set up.

User uploaded file
8:21 pm Tuesday; September 24, 2013

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.4)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Yahoo! iChat Login Fails every Day

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.