Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't upgrade to Lion. Should I give up on iCloud?

I use an iMac, MacBook, iPad and iPhone.

When I try to upgrade to Lion on my iMac, I get the message "Mac OS X 10.7 Lion requires a Core 2 Duo, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7, or Xeon processor." Details of my iMac and MacBook are below.

If I can't upgrade, do I need to get an brand new iMac in order to use iCloud? I am not willing to dump a fully-functioning computer, so what are my alternatives?

I don't use my mac.com email address; I only use MobileMe for:

Contacts

iCal

iDisk

Find my iPhone.

Should I switch to Google and DropBox?

Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac4,1

Processor Name: Intel Core Duo

Processor Speed: 2 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 2 MB

Memory: 2 GB

Bus Speed: 667 MHz

Boot ROM Version: IM41.0055.B08

Model Name: MacBook

Model Identifier: MacBook4,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.1 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 3 MB

Memory: 1 GB

Bus Speed: 800 MHz

Boot ROM Version: MB41.00C1.B00

SMC Version (system): 1.31f1

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Feb 27, 2012 8:41 AM

1 reply

Feb 27, 2012 9:06 AM in response to franch

Well, the screenshots show that your Macbook is a Core 2 Duo, so that should work - but, you would need to add more RAM (minimum is 2 GB, but it'll run better with 4 GB and yours can handle 4 (or, as tested by OWC, even 6 GB):

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook/stats/macbook-core-2-duo-2.1-white -13-early-2008-penryn-specs.html

But, you wouldn't be able to have iCloud on your iMac; however, as far as I know, you may be able to access it via icloud.com from the Mac. - so you could have a partial success so to speak.

I can't help with anything MobileMe or mac.com since I never had an account or used it.

Can't upgrade to Lion. Should I give up on iCloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.