Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why Duplicate A Master?

I can't seem to come up with a good reason for duplicating a Master.

Why duplicate a Master, as opposed to creating a new Version form the Master?

Posted on Feb 27, 2012 9:11 AM

22 replies

Feb 27, 2012 9:45 AM in response to 1 Open Loop

Why duplicate a Master, as opposed to creating a new Version form the Master?

You are right, usually it is wasteful, to have several master image files for different versions of the same image.

But in some situations it makes sense to me to create a second master:

• If you edit using an external editor, and Aperture cannot reproduce these edits internally,
  • If you want to finalize your edits, because you need to ensure that these edits never, ever will get changed (for legal or scientific reasons),
  • If you need the same image in two different projects and you can't achieve what you want to do by using different albums (sometimes I need to do this, if I want to export a part of the Library),
  • If you want to create a new, smaller master from a cropped image version.

And I'd really like to hear different opinions! 🙂

Regards

Léonie

Feb 27, 2012 10:06 AM in response to Allan Eckert

😉 o.k. Allan, what might be your suggestion for this problem: scientific test data for published results ?

I like to store my test images in Aperture for easy retrieval, but I have to make sure, that each time I export them to reproduce the experiment I get exactly the same image as previously - this can only be ensured by exporting a master, not a version, for the algorithms to render the versions may change between Aperture versions or OS versions.

So for all these test images versions I create new masters to ensure they can be retrieved from the database always exactly the same.

Cheers

Léonie

Feb 27, 2012 10:47 AM in response to léonie

leonieDF wrote:

But in some situations it makes sense to me to create a second master:

If you edit using an external editor, and Aperture cannot reproduce these edits internally,

I haven't tried this yet. But I thought if you edit with an external editor Aperture automatically creates a new Master for the external editor and stacks the new Master with the original. Is that correct? If so, then you don't need to duplicate a Master, since the process does that for you. Correct?

Feb 28, 2012 5:45 AM in response to Allan Eckert

Allan Eckert wrote:

My feeling about duplicating a master is if you think of a work flow that is going to duplicate masters then go back and rethink it because it is in all likelihood not the best work flow.

Allan

That was my first thought when I came across the feature. With Aperture being non-destructive, I was at a loss as to why I would want more than one copy of the same image floating around. So, I figured I ask and see what others were doing with this feature.

At least for me, I think having duplicates of Masters would be a problem waiting to happen.

Feb 28, 2012 5:47 AM in response to léonie

leonieDF wrote:

If you need the same image in two different projects and you can't achieve what you want to do by using different albums (sometimes I need to do this, if I want to export a part of the Library),

LeonieDF,

I think you've probably hit on the only reason for this feature.

Although given how things can easily get confusing, I find it a little odd that Apple created this feature. At least they should have some obvious way of identifying the fact that you are looking at a duplicate of a Master.

Kevin

Why Duplicate A Master?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.