Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When are we going to get a sheet music program in the App Store?

I just want to make nice lead sheets, like I used to be able to do with the early versions of Sibelius. I'm done paying any more upgrade fees to Sibelius for a bunch of bloated features I have no use for. I see that they have a $99 program called Sibelius First now. If that's just like Sibelius v1, that would be great. Also, Finale has a couple of program under $100 now too. Anyone using any of them? I've bought programs in the past (like BusyCal) only to have it show up in the App Store soon after. I would like to avoid that. The point is, I've been waiting for a long time for a sheet music program to show up in the App Store and I've very surprised that we still have nothing available.

Thoughts? 🙂

Posted on Feb 27, 2012 11:04 AM

19 replies

Feb 27, 2012 3:37 PM in response to Bob Lyons

I think I know what you mean - an easy to use application that produces a nice printed copy for the individual musicians in a band, showing chord symbols, lyrics maybe, a bit of notation for some people when necessary, guitar tab even, for when you're first getting into it, instead of scribbling on a piece of paper. Its not crazy but I haven't come across anything like that that I can think of...

Feb 27, 2012 6:20 PM in response to Pancenter

I loved Encore back in 2000, before they went out of business. I think it cost about $40 at that time. Very simple. Opened midi files. Save as midi or pdf. This new version costs $400! Your lead sheet looks great. Thanks for posting it. That's exactly what I need. I'll check out the trial versions of Finale and Sibelius lite. Worst case - I buy another upgrade from Sibelius so that it will open in OS 10.7. I'd rather get a cheap program from the App Store that does everything I want.

Thanks for the help, PanCenter 😎

Feb 27, 2012 8:23 PM in response to Bob Lyons

$400.. Yikes?

I've been a long time beta tester and hadn't kept up with the retail price. I purchased the full version when I first started using it back in the Passport days, I think it was $299 back then.

I see the cheapest thing they have is "MusicTime Deluxe" (Encore Lite) which is $120, oh well, I should've checked the price first.

There's also the free:

http://musescore.org/en

But I don't know if itt's Lion compatible.

Feb 28, 2012 4:09 PM in response to Pancenter

Actually, I've just had a go at that and the Musescore works pretty well - it is easy to use - a 10 or 15 minute job to look at the possibilities is all it takes to be able to produce something - there's a template for a lead sheet under the Style menu option that I can see using that as a starting point and adapting it from there; its a pity I didn't have this a few years ago, when I was working with other musicians a lot more, but, of course that's another story. I imagine it may well come in useful at a particular time in the future.

Feb 29, 2012 4:35 PM in response to Pancenter

Thanks, Pancenter.

Yeah, I do a lot of weddings. I get a lot of hits on YouTube also. So I'm always getting emails from young pan players asking if I have sheet music for my arrangements. That's the main reason for wanting to do this.

About this song, after years and years of playing Canon I realize that people only want to hear the parts they recognize. Hence, my arrangement above. Arpeggios, chords, then the hook - over and over. Easy money $$$ 😝

Feb 29, 2012 6:34 PM in response to Bob Lyons

Hi Bob, hey man, you sound great, nice touch, those are double tenors, right?

My handle refers to stereo panning left, center, right....etc.

Coincidently I play nylon string guitar in two separate pan groups and am well versed in the repertoire. :-)

The standard trio format here is Pan (either lead or double tenors), amplified nylon string guitar and electric bass, plus everyone plays some kind of foot percussion.

Re: Canon, yep, only the hook is required.

Mar 2, 2012 10:59 AM in response to CCTM

Okay, CCTM. I want to be sure that I've examined all my options. So I've tried to duplicate this simple lead sheet in Logic. I was able to create a new text style for the title, but there are still no double bars, repeat signs, or line breaks available. I like to make my lead sheets as easy to read as possible. I think I need more control over the final printed product than what Logic offers. This is the best I could do:

User uploaded file

When are we going to get a sheet music program in the App Store?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.