Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does mounting Airport base station vertically (flat on a wall) affect it?

I'm planning to mount an Airport Extreme base station flat on a wall and am curious to know if this will decrease its effectiveness in any way, perhaps due to the orientation of antennas? If it is only meant to be sitting horizontal on a desktop, then I will have to ditch my idea.

Thanks!

-Michael

Posted on Feb 27, 2012 11:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2012 11:57 AM

No, it should work just fine. Mounting it on a wall may actually increase its range, due to its elevation as well as the decreased possibility of placing stuff on or around it.

There is no way to predict its precise effects. At the extremes of its range, minute changes in position will become evident, but that will happen despite its orientation.

Apple even sells wall mounting brackets, here is one: http://store.apple.com/us/product/TN777LL/A

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 27, 2012 11:57 AM in response to Michael R

No, it should work just fine. Mounting it on a wall may actually increase its range, due to its elevation as well as the decreased possibility of placing stuff on or around it.

There is no way to predict its precise effects. At the extremes of its range, minute changes in position will become evident, but that will happen despite its orientation.

Apple even sells wall mounting brackets, here is one: http://store.apple.com/us/product/TN777LL/A

May 26, 2012 1:16 PM in response to John Galt

I have not been able to find anything on Apple's website that says it should only be placed horizonatlly, or even that it can be placed horizontally upside down or vertically.

Seems like they should make a statement one way or the other & avoid the confusion & many Questions.

It seems to me that a horizontal placement higher up would result in the signal reaching further out.

But, as you say, they sell that bracket that would allow you to place it vertically.

May 26, 2012 2:15 PM in response to DonXX

I've done some Apple cert. back in the day and also remember back in wireless 101 that the first thing we learned is to make sure the extreme/TC is never positioned sideways. Not only is this dangerous if the device tips (excessive heat buildup can't irradiate from them), but the reception, etc. will drop, as the antenna arrays were never engineered to be positioned in any manner other than flat on a surface.

Does mounting Airport base station vertically (flat on a wall) affect it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.