Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cannot open a video in my ipad with extnsion .wlmp. Any suggestions?

iPad 2

Posted on Feb 27, 2012 12:44 PM

8 replies

Feb 27, 2012 1:47 PM in response to dmogz613

According to what I've read elsewhere, a .wlmp file is a project file, not a video. You need to open that file in Windows Live Movie Maker on a Windows PC and then save the movie. From the left-most icon of the main menu, use 'Save movie' and it'll give you choices of quality and save it to your hard drive. Compatible formats can be found in the iPad specs:

http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

Regards.

Jan 23, 2013 11:25 PM in response to dmogz613

Just as we know Windows Live Movie Maker .wlmp file is not a valid video file but a movie project file from which a video file can be generated in Windows Live Movie Maker and this .wlmp project files cannot be opened and played by any media players like VLC, QuickTime, iTunes, iPod, iPad, iPhone or uploaded to YouTube, Facebook for sharing, let alone to play WLMP on Mac.

Though we can reopen this WLMP files in Windows Live Movie Maker on a Windows PC and then save and export the .wlmp project files to WMV video format, we are still unable to play the exported WMV on Mac. For WMV is also not compatible with Mac devices. (Exception: Windows Live Movie Maker 2012 can export WLMP to MP4, in this case, we can played the exported WLMP MP4 files on Mac)

In order to play .wlmp files on Mac QuickTime, iTunes, iPad, iPod, or edit WLMP files in iMovie, Final Cut Pro, Final Cut Express, we have no other choices but to convert WLMP to MP4, MOV, or MP3.

The following will describe a step by step guide on how to convert WLMP to MP4, MP3 or MOV at How to Convert WLMP to MP4 to Play WLMP files on Mac, iMovie, iTunes?

Jan 24, 2013 6:47 AM in response to lilyeejames

we are still unable to play the exported WMV on Mac. For WMV is also not compatible with Mac devices.

Just to finish off this topic, if you install the free Flip4Mac codec, you can play most WMV files on your Mac (Microsoft has not allowed porting of every WMV codec to other platforms, so not all will play). And the Player Pro version (not free) can allow exporting to a format compatible with iMovie et. al. So this can often be done on a Mac as well.

Regards.

Sep 20, 2014 12:46 AM in response to dmogz613

Though .wlmp looks like a video file, it is not a valid video file. In fact, .wlmp is the project file of Windows Live Movie Maker, which is created from movies, video clips, slides, photos, audio, or music and contains movie transitions, music, effects, etc. as well as links to digital photos or videos, and tells Windows Live Movie Maker how to make a stunning movie from these materials. It's disappointing that only Windows Live Movie Maker supports opening .wlmp project file. So what should we do if we want to open and play this file with VLC, QuickTime, iPhone, iPad, iPod, iTunes, iMovie, Xbox 360, PS3, etc?

Here is a step by step tutorial on how to save .wlmp to WMV and MP4 or convert .wlmp to MOV, AVI, FLV, DV, MPG, DivX, 3GP, OGV, MP3, ALAC, etc in order to open and play .wlmp movie on other media players or portable devices.

Mar 5, 2015 10:02 PM in response to roricharny

WLMP is not a video file. WLMP is a Windows Live Movie Maker project file which records the path to all the source files and records the transitions effects etc; but it does not include copies of the source files like photos, video clips, and audio clips. Therefore, we can only view WLMP in Windows Live Movie Maker.

In order to play WLMP on iPad, iPhone, iPod, iTunes, QuickTime, we had better convert WLMP to a video format like MP4 or MOV. Below will show a step by step guide on how to convert WLMP to MP4, MOV, AVI, WMV VOB, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, FLV, WebM, TS, 3GP, ASF, DV, RMVB, SWF, ASF and etc.

Jul 9, 2015 11:09 PM in response to Radiation Mac

Yes, you are right. Actually, .wlmp is not video format. It's Project files created by Windows Live Movie Maker. So, it can't directly playback on any media devices like iPad, iPhone, VLC and so on. But, you can covert WLMP to WMV with this free program itself. Open WLMP and Find: "File" > "Open Project" to open the .wlmp file. Then click "File" > "Save movie" to export WLMP files as WMV videos to your computer.

And then, I think you need a third party video converter to convert WMV to MP4, MOV, MP3 and more which compatible with iPad, iPhone and other Media Players. iCoolsoft WLMP Converter can help you convert between any video format and it is very easy to use.

For more info, http://www.icoolsoft.com/convert-video/convert-wlmp-to-wmv-mp4-avi-mov-flv-mp3.h tml

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.