Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes match: can't select media type as "Audiobook"

Hi,

After switching to iTunes Match, I'm not able to change the media type of imported CDs to Audiobook anymore. This option is greyed-out. The only workaround so far is to deactivate iTunes Match before the Import of Audiobook CDs, change the media type after importing and to re-activate iTunes Match. However, this is not a comfortable solution. How can this be done correctly?

Thanks,

Oliver

iTunes Match-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Feb 27, 2012 12:51 PM

14 replies

Feb 27, 2012 1:01 PM in response to OliverSch

There are a couple of options.

You could try using a third party App, such as Subler to change the media type. I'm not sure but you may find that you need to remove the file from iTunes (remembering not to delete the file) before making the changes.

Alternatively, you could create a second iTunes library which isn't subscribed to Match and rip the CD in that library, change the tags and then import it into your main library.

I can't see any reason why either of these won't work.

Feb 28, 2012 12:32 PM in response to KeithJenner

Yes, removing the file from iTunes and importing them back is also an alternative method, which works. I've done this before, but it is in my view even less comfortable than deactivating/reactivating iTunes Match. The deactivation/reactivation method includes less steps to perform.

I think, that in my case using a second iTunes Library is also not opimal. The audiobooks are not played with the Mac, where my library is located but via Airplay on my stereo equipment. And I'm switching a couple of time between music and audiobooks on the stereo.So I would have to load seperate libraries from remote a couple of times.

So it seems, that the option I've found is for my purpose already the most optimal method in the way iTunes Match is allowing it to do. (sigh - but better than no option).

Thank you both!

Jul 9, 2012 8:28 AM in response to OliverSch

I had a similar problem but realized that it only prevents you from changing the media type once the file has been uploaded to the cloud.

In my case, if I turn off my wireless on my laptop before importing, it will show up in my library as "waiting" to upload. In that state, I can change the media type to audiobook and my problem is solved. Turn the wireless back on and itunes is none the wiser. No separate library or other software.

Hope this helps.

Aug 17, 2012 11:52 PM in response to OliverSch

You shouldn't need to create a second library. That inevitably gets messy. As Quaeritate pointed out, you simply have to be disconnected from iTunes match when you import the Audiobook and stay out of reach of iTunes Match until after you've changed the media kind. Still a bit of a pain, but not too bad. You should be able to do this either with Quaeritate's method of temporarily disconnecting your computer from the internet while you do this, or by signing out/disabling iTunes match within iTunes temporarily and then you can stay connected to the internet for other tasks while you import the book and change the media kind. Once you've done both of those steps, you can once again allow your iTunes library to communicate with iTunes match. I'd just go with whatever method or work-flow is most convenient for you. For me, I'd rather stay connected to the internet for email and such since I multi-task when I'm importing Audiobooks.

I qualify that by adding that I don't actually have iTunes match; I'm on here looking for flaws before I make the leap but I'd be in the opposite boat. I might have to change tons of media kind classifications to music so that they would be included in iTunes Match for me.

Best Wishes,

Kieran

Jan 24, 2013 8:22 AM in response to OliverSch

I like the benefits of iTunes Match, but some of its flaws and artificial limitations are making me crazy...

I don't want to reimport my stuff, because quite frankly, I don't fancy losing the play counts.

Can't be that hard for the coders to implement a way to get a warning message that warns me that changing the media type will remove the file from iCloud and then let me decide.

Really, Apple... (And I just had to bite my tongue)

I'm used to better of you.

Mar 17, 2013 1:46 PM in response to DBee_77

It worked! Thanks, DBee! I had several files that stubbornly remained as "music" even though they were Audiobooks and I did not want them marked as "music" for playlist purposes. Making an AAC version, changing the Media Kind, and deleting the old version (as well as hiding it in iCloud) worked beautifully, and relegated the offending files to the Audiobooks or Podcasts sections.

May 26, 2013 8:55 PM in response to DBee_77

Hi - I have the same problem and agree that [duplicating into AAC and then changing the media kind, then deleting the old album from the cloud] is the best solution available at the moment. I suspect this works the other way around too - if the original files imported were AAC and iTunes match incorrectly labelled them, I assume you can convert the other way around to MP3 and do the same thing.

iTunes match: can't select media type as "Audiobook"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.