Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do i use my imac 21.5" 2011 as a display for my macbook pro late 2011, through thunderbolt cable ? I have tried and it doesnt seem to work, neither does target disk mode.

How do i use my imac 21.5" 2011 as a display for my macbook pro late 2011, through thunderbolt cable ? I have tried and it doesnt seem to work, neither does target disk mode.

Could it be a borked cable ? I just bought it new from the store today, i have updated both imac and macbook pro to latest thunderbolt firmware and updates. Both 10.7.3.

MacBook Pro:

Vendor Name: Apple, Inc.

Device Name: MacBook Pro

UID: 0x0001000A17016E60

Firmware Version: 22,1

Port:

Link Status: 7

Port Micro Firmware Version: FFFF.FF.FF

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Feb 27, 2012 1:34 PM

12 replies

Feb 27, 2012 9:15 PM in response to Frank Caggiano

According to all other information i have read, this is true only to pre thunderbolt models. As of thunderbolt, both the 21.5 iMac and the 27" iMac are compatible with target display mode through thunderbolt. However not backwords compatible.

Seeing as both my iMac and my macbook pro features a thunderbolt port, this should be possible.

Feb 27, 2012 10:06 PM in response to ThomasDamgaard

You are correct, here is what Apple Says:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3775

I was able to find these instructions, however they referr to 2009-2011 27" iMacs. I think it's the same, if it's not then contact Apple directly for instructions. If either of the machines is less than 90 days old or covered by AppleCare then call AppleCare tomorrow for help, they should be able to easily answer this for you. You will find the number in your manual or you can use the AppleCare Contact Info link.

1. Your iMac should automatically recognize the presence of a digital video signal at the Mini DisplayPort and enter Target Display Mode.
  2. If your iMac does not automatically enter Target Display Mode, press command + F2 to manually enter Target Display Mode.

Feb 28, 2012 1:04 PM in response to rkaufmann87

I went to the local mac store today, i got to try out my cable and my macbook pro with one of their 21.5" iMac's and it worked first attempt just by plugging it in and using cmd+fn+f2. Disconnecting was simply unplugging the cable, didnt experience any of the problems that were in the above mentioned thread.

Went home and tried it again and still doesnt work, which means my 21.5" iMac's thunderbolt port is borked, luckyly there is still warranty, and hopefully it will be a quick repair.

Thanks again for the help

Jul 28, 2012 10:25 AM in response to ThomasDamgaard

Yes, it does work. As I type this I am using an IMAC 21" screen as an external monitor for my 13.3 Macbook Pro. Here is how you do it:

1. Connect the Thunderbolt to both the your host (Macbook Pro) and your target(IMAC 21").

2. Enable Target Disk Mode by hitting CMND F2 on your IMAC. This will start the screen sharing.

3. You will see that the Macbook Pro is being read because if you scroll your mouse around on your Macbook pro, your mouse cursor will appear on the IMAC's screen. All you need to do is go into >System Preferences>Displays. Click on "Gather Windows" and this will bring up the IMAC display settings. Click on the check box "Mirror Displays" and that should do it.

Hopefully this works for you that are having issues connecting your Macbook Pro and IMAC 21" via Thunderbolt!

Jul 28, 2012 10:55 AM in response to ToolboxWebDesign

I still can't manage to do that.

My items:

1. iMac 21.5" Late 2009

2. Macbook Air 11" Mid 2012

3. Mini Display port to Mini Display port cable (not from the apple store)

From what I see everywhere, at the moment when you plug the cable into the macs, the display will be "refreshed" and than you can set it. However, it doesn't happen to my mac at all. I tried to key in the button CMND F2 but the only thing happens it the pointer is blinking (gone while i hit the keys)

So is every mini display port cable support thunderbolt?

The problem doesn't seem to come out from the macs

1. I tried to plug the mini display port to hdmi to a monitor for my macbook air and it works

2. I tried to plug the mini display port to mini display port to another macbook (pro in this case) and nothing works too.

I'm confused now

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.