Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No clients can connect after restart - eDSOperationFailed -14483

Hi There,

I'd been having a few issues with Retrospect so restarted the server but after restarting, none of the clients can connect.

I can login via Remote Desktop and open Server Admin but when I try to open Workgroup Manager, my Directory Admin password no longer works.

If I login using the Local Admin details and try to switch to LDAP to authenticate, I see this error:

"Error of type eDSOperationFailed (-14483) on line 3395 of /SourceCache/WorkgroupManager/WorkgroupManager-361.3.1/PMMUGMainView.mm"

I'm not super techinical (graphic designer) but haven't had too many issues setting up and administrating the server - is this some sort of LDAP issue?

Just not sure where to go from here - any help would be much appreciated.

OS X Server 10.6.8

Regards,

Ben

Posted on Feb 27, 2012 2:11 PM

4 replies

Feb 27, 2012 2:54 PM in response to Ben Sciascia

Not sure if this helps but I'm using the following settings:

• Single server as an Open Directory Master
  • "Enable SSL" is off under LDAP
  • "Authenticated Directory Binding" is off under OD Policies
  • "Standard" authentication method under AFP

If I try to connect (or bind I guess) a client to the server via:
>Client System Prefs >Accounts >Login Options >Join Network Account Server

I get the following error:
"Unable to add server - An invalid attribute type was provided (4200)"

This error occurs if I try the Server's IP addres or local domain for the server address.

I also tried manually entering the server's address via Directory Utility but all the same issues - and no green light in the client's system prefs under "Network Account Server"

Feb 27, 2012 4:40 PM in response to Ben Sciascia

OK, so it turned out that all the LDAP data was corrupt and had to be recreated. If you're only slightly technical (like me) this is how I fixed it:

WARNING: This will destroy what's left of your users and groups which will have to be re-created. In my case, because the server couldn't read any users/groups from the LDAP directory, I had no choice.

Recreate Open Directory

1. Open Server Admin and click "Open Directory" from services on the left
  2. Go >Settings >General and click the "Change" button next to role
  3. Use the wizzard to change to a stand alone directory
  4. Now do the whole process again and change back to an Open Directory Master

Recreate your users and groups

1. Open Workgroup Manager
  2. Authenticate using the Directory Admin user created in the wizzard above
  3. Recreate all your users and groups

Delete old user/group data from your sharepoints in Server Admin, apply your new users/groups and propagate permissions

Make a backup of your users and groups

1. In Server Admin, click "Open Directory" on the left left
  2. Click "Archive: from the top
  3. From "Archive In" choose a directory to save your data to
  4. Click "Archive"
  5. Give it a name and choose a password (type the password carefully as it doesn't verify it!)

Jan 9, 2014 7:30 AM in response to Ben Sciascia

I was in the process of updating migrating from OS X Server 10.6.8 to OS X Mavericks Server (seperate partitions on the same Xserve) and after using migration assistant I noticed I was unable to login as admin on the open directory master to the LDAPv3/127.0.0.1 directory. Workgroup Manager (or the Mavericks equivalent tool) reported:

"Error of type eDSOperationFailed (-14483) on line 3395 of /SourceCache/WorkgroupManager/WorkgroupManager-361.3.1/PMMUGMainView.mm"

I rebooted back into OS X Server 10.6.8 and noticed the same error trying the same login. I thought that was strange since this was working before my migration attempt. I did notice that I had not SSL certificate associated with LDAP authentication and I couldn't remember if I ever had one or not (I do have a valid SSL cert installed).

So on 10.6.8, I associated my valid SSL cert with LDAP in Server Admin. Not sure on exact order but decided to make an 'archive' of Open Directory before I started to mess around. I specified an 'Archive in' folder under the Server Admin Open Directory Archive tab, then pressed the archive folder. For good measure, I also created a zip archive of /var/db/openldap. I quit Workgroup Manager and then relaunched it and much to my surprise I was able to login!

My next task will be to 'fix' Open Directory under the migrated Mavericks OS X Server. I may attempt the same 'Archive' task or I may just restore Open Directory using the Archive I created under OS X Server 10.6.8.

No clients can connect after restart - eDSOperationFailed -14483

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.