Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you move an email alias to an other me.com account?!

My question

I created an email alias, lets say "A-alias@me.com" to the primairy email account "A-primairy@me.com"

Now a created a new apple-id with a new primairy email account e.g. B-primairy@me.com

How can i move (reuse) A-alias@me.com to B-primairy@me.com ?!

Please advise, best

Bertrand

icloud-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Feb 27, 2012 3:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2012 3:41 PM

You can't. Email aliases are forever tied to the account that created them.

10 replies

Mar 16, 2012 10:51 PM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Helllo there

But what happens if an alias is deleted. Let's say someone somewhere created an alias I wanted, but they deleted it since they no longer wanted it, and therefore it becomes free for me to choose right?

I ask because I had to create an alias in one icloud account but I need it now tied to another one. I have deleted the alias from account A, but when I am in account B and I try to create this alias it tells me it is not available.

Alternatively, let's say I want to re-create the alias in account A, its original home, but want to read emails to it from my mac where I have all the settings , etc for account B. Can I have my Mail.app set up so that it receives and sends all emails tied to Account A AND just emails for that particular alias for Account B?

Thanks

J

Mar 17, 2012 12:36 AM in response to newleopard

newleopard wrote:

But what happens if an alias is deleted. Let's say someone somewhere created an alias I wanted, but they deleted it since they no longer wanted it, and therefore it becomes free for me to choose right?

Sorry: wrong. As already stated, an alias is tied forever to the account which created it. When deleted it does not become available for another account to use.

Nov 11, 2012 5:10 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Roger, I apologize in advance for my redundancy factor but I have an E-Mail Alias tied to my .mac account. It's for my wife and it's her first and last name at .mac. If I understand this string correctly, it's not possible to some how delete that alias and create a new account, in her name, with that same format - her first and last name at .mac / .me / .icloud as a primary for her linked to her own music, her own checking account etc. 🙂

Nov 4, 2013 12:36 AM in response to Mark Gaipo

My wife and I originally shared an single Apple ID thinking this was the only way to share calendars and reminders.

After a time, more Apple devices - our inability not to separate our *.me/*.icloud/*.mac eMail accounts we decided to have individual ID's (now sharing calendars, reminders and such the way Apple designed) each having our own ID.

Enough knowledge to be dangerous. 😟

Had I known it worked this way from the beginning of our foray into iPhone, iPads, iCloud and MacBooks, we would have created separate Apple ID's from the beginning and we would have aliases of our choice instead of them being stuck in the ether. Our names are unique enough that they weren't already being used - beginners luck.

I deleted her aliases and waited for over seven days so she could add them as her alias - but alas, no luck. We waited 90 days. I could re-create them, months later, and delete them too - but as stated on previous threads - she can't create them on her ID and they seem tied with the original ID forever, as these threads point out.

They don't work like phone numbers for sure. Once deleted they don't seem to become public for the taking again, even after a time; even by request. Hard lesson learned.

Apple are you ever going to change this policy?

I'll bet many folks want deleted aliases after a time; and it seems my situation is not unique. You should put them back into play after a fair amount of time - after all, phone numbers go back after a time of cancellation. Isn't this the same scenario?

Moral: Apple allows sharing of calendars, reminders and other features using different Apple ID's. There is no real reason, no economy for, the sharing of Apple ID's that comes to mind.

Mark Gaipo wrote:

Roger, I apologize in advance for my redundancy factor but I have an E-Mail Alias tied to my .mac account. It's for my wife and it's her first and last name at .mac. If I understand this string correctly, it's not possible to some how delete that alias and create a new account, in her name, with that same format - her first and last name at .mac / .me / .icloud as a primary for her linked to her own music, her own checking account etc. 🙂

Nov 5, 2014 2:09 AM in response to Bertrand!

I need this one too.

Apple should change their policy about the use of iCloud aliases.

I have two email aliases reserved for my kids to use in the future to be their own iCloud email addresses.

Now, as the Family Sharing feature is out in the open, I tried to create my kids' account using the aliases.

I did it by deleting the email aliases firstly from the preferences (gear icon)-account tab within the iCloud web interface and then try to create a new iCloud account using those aliases, but no luck.

I called Apple support, don't know why the reps said that I should be able to do it that way.

So I tried again, but still no luck. Guess the support reps don't have any idea about this too.

Any solution for this?

Thanks.

Can you move an email alias to an other me.com account?!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.