Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't move pics to external hard drive

When I import photos from my iPhone to iPhoto I created a folder for photos that I want to move to my external hard drive. I hooked up my external hard drive to my MacBook Pro and tried to copy and paste the pics from that folder to my external hard drive and its not letting me copy anything to the external hard drive and I have no idea why. How come I can't cut and paste to my external hard drive?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Feb 27, 2012 3:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2012 3:45 PM

The drive is formatted for Windows. You can read it, but not write to it. You have to erase it and format it for a Mac in order to be able to write to it.

3 replies

Feb 27, 2012 4:05 PM in response to MMA Chick

So could I take everything off my external hard drive, save it to my Mac, then re-format it for my Mac and move everything back to the external hard drive?

Yes. Keep in mind that you need to back up all data, including the data on an external drive. So if you're going to use the external drive to store original data, as opposed to backups, then you really need another one to back up the first one. You also need to back up the data on your internal drive, of course. This isn't optional. You must do it, or you'll lose everything sooner or later. All disk drives fail eventually, often with no warning.

If I do that how do I format the external hard drive for my Mac?

Launch the Disk Utility application and search the built-in help for "erase."

Would it be easier to just buy a external hard drive that is for a Mac?

All external hard drives work with Macs. Some might come pre-formatted for use with Macs, but it only takes a few minutes to do that yourself.

Can't move pics to external hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.