Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lion Mail lost Smart Mailboxes after reboot! Any hints?

Hello,

i created several SmartMailBoxes in Apple Mail.

After reboot they are gone.

~/Library/Mail/V2/MailData rights are correct (644 for owner and grp staff)

And no messages at the console.

System: MBA 2011 with 10.7.3 and an exchange and MobileMe account.

Any hints?

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Feb 27, 2012 4:07 PM

12 replies

May 9, 2012 4:28 AM in response to Mac.Harry

I'm having the same problem. Whatever Smart Mailboxes and Smart Mailbox Folders I create - they just disappear when I quit and relaunch Mail. I've tried deleting com.apple.mail.SavedState, but to no avail; I have also delected SmartMailboxes.plist and its backup, but, again, without success. Mail simply fails to update SmartMailboxes.plist, no matter how many new Smart Mailboxes and Folders I create. Any idea how I could force it to?

Running 10.7.3 on white polycarbonate MacBook.

Jul 28, 2012 6:53 AM in response to jh43

Same here after upgrading to Mountain Lion. It's really mind boggling, I mean, they added VIP mailboxes, yet nobody at Apple tested the smart mailboxes?! It takes litterally one minute to create a smart mailbox folder, put a few smart mailboxes in it, quit Mail.app and restart, and watch them disappear. You can not miss that bug!

Anyway I highly recommend Thunderbird instead. Smart Mailboxes work great there.

Sep 6, 2012 10:35 AM in response to Dizzyboy

Apple tech support had me create a new user account on the machine, log in to that account and set up an IMAP mail account. After I did this, I set up a few smart mailboxes on the dummy account, then logged off.

When I logged back in under my main account, I re-added the smart mailboxes again and this time, they remained...

It's kind of a round about way to fix it, but it worked for me.

Lion Mail lost Smart Mailboxes after reboot! Any hints?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.