Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

QuickTime Player: New Screen Recording question

When creating a New Screen Recording, it is possible to only record the audio coming from the speakers and NOT record the audio in the room where the macbook is sitting?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Feb 27, 2012 5:31 PM

25 replies

Feb 28, 2012 1:56 PM in response to kitdoor

Soundflower allows you to route system audio into an application.

Install Soundflower-- http://cycling74.com/products/soundflower/ (instructions for use) and http://code.google.com/p/soundflower/downloads/list (application)-- to add system audio (core audio) inputs to the line-in and microphone options already present in QuickTime Player (i.e., QuickTime 10). Once it's installed,

1. System Preferences > Sound > Output. Select Soundflower (2ch).

2. Open QT and begin a New Screen Recording. In the Screen Recording window, click the dialogue triangle on the right. Under Microphone, select Soundflower (2ch).

3. Begin your screen recording.

Note, however, that you won't be able to hear system audio while using Soundflower as a QT input--the audio that was going to your speakers is now going into QT instead. When you finish your recording, go back to System Preferences > Sound > Output to route the audio back to Internal Speakers or your usual default audio output.

Jun 27, 2013 6:40 PM in response to kitdoor

Absolutely not correct. There is a drop down box on the right when you fire up Quicktime, it isn't very easy to see, but it allows you to select "Internal Microphone" and you capture a "Screen Recording" you will be able record with video and sound. I just pulled a clip off of YouTube for a research project using this method.

Jul 18, 2013 2:50 AM in response to TVojta

The Internal Microphone option records all the sound the Mac can hear. So yes it does record the sound coming out of your speakers, but it also records any background noise from your room, which is not what the OP wanted.

That said, it's the only thing I can get to work with sound at all. I've downloaded soundflower, and followed mns579's instructions, and it does record webpage sound without background noise of the room, but it echoes over and over so you can't understand anything. Anyone know how to fix it?

Edit: Nevermind, works in (64ch) instead of (2ch)

QuickTime Player: New Screen Recording question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.