Skip navigation

password session length

948 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Oct 16, 2012 7:25 AM by NatalieT1 RSS
Chogidog Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Feb 27, 2012 5:49 PM

Is there a way to shorten or eliminate the time the the iTunes/App store holds your password permission active.

My 3 year old just bought an app without needing a password and I'd like to eliminate the possibility of her doing that again.

iPad 3G, iOS 5.0.1
  • NatalieT1 Level 2 Level 2 (400 points)
    Feb 28, 2012 5:00 AM (in response to Chogidog)

You can follow these steps to set your device to require your password for every purchase:

1) Tap Settings on your device's home screen.

2) Tap General.

3) Tap Restrictions.

4) If necessary, tap "Enable Restrictions" and enter a passcode. This passcode will prevent restrictions from being disabled without your permission.

5) Scroll down to the Allowed Content section and find "Require Password 15 minutes". Change the "Require Password" option to "Immediately".

6) Tap the Restrictions button at the top and confirm your selection reads "Require Password Immediately".

Feb 29, 2012 4:39 AM (in response to Chogidog)

You're most welcome. Glad I could help!

• brian_hundt Calculating status...
    Oct 15, 2012 12:25 PM (in response to NatalieT1)

NatalieT I,

Since you seem to know your stuff, another question for you - How long is a user's session in Apple's App Store?  What I mean is - How long will Apple permit me to download apps between sessions before I'm prompted to re-enter my password?  I'm thinking the session remains active until I close the App Store, but I am looking for confirmation.

• Velskud Level 3 Level 3 (545 points)
    Oct 15, 2012 5:58 PM (in response to brian_hundt)

Hey Brian.

It's 15 minutes. Once you enter your password/passcode, you can buy for 15 minutes before baing asked to enter it again. =)

• brian_hundt Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Oct 15, 2012 6:09 PM (in response to Velskud)

Thank you Velskud.

• Velskud Level 3 Level 3 (545 points)
    Oct 15, 2012 6:10 PM (in response to brian_hundt)

You're welcome. =D

Oct 16, 2012 7:25 AM (in response to brian_hundt)

Velskud is correct that once you have authenticated your Account, you will not need to authenticate again for fifteen minutes. However, the amount of time before you are required to authenticate can be alterered. You can set restrictions on your iOS devices to require your password for every purchase. For more information on restrictions please review http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4213.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.