Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsule as a back up only

Hello

I have posted several times re my TIme Capsule and have been referred to Mr Pondini helpful solutions. Very informative but sorry to say no farther forward. I now ask whether I can connect TC o my Imac by USB to use the TC just as an ordinary external hard disc for back up via Time Machine.

I am not in a sutuation at the moment where I can connect to ethernet directly from my broadband router. I use Powerline plugs which work fine for everything I have except Time Capsule.

Thanks

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2), 2.7 /i5 8GB 1333 Mhz DDR 3

Posted on Feb 28, 2012 8:09 AM

3 replies

Feb 28, 2012 8:15 AM in response to johnfromoswestry

I now ask whether I can connect TC o my Imac by USB to use the TC just as an ordinary external hard disc for back up via Time Machine.

No, the Time Capsule must connect to the network using an Ethernet connection (preferable) or via wireless.

The USB port on the Time Capsule is only used to connect another hard drive for additional storage.....and/or a printer.

Feb 29, 2012 5:46 AM in response to johnfromoswestry

Follow up

I maaged to get the Time Capsule connected using the Powerline for ethernet to TC. There were 4 queries highlighted by a red 4 in Airport Utility but options to ignore where there and selected.

Green light on TC and backup started, not for long as my earlier this year problem re Sparse Bundle Error 1 has delayed the backup. Referring back to Mr Pondini instructions I got as far as restarting my Mac after which the connection was broken although green light still showed on TC. My back up disc no longer shows in disc utility.

Trying to reconnect has been unsiccessful so far.

Wd appreciate help.

Time Capsule as a back up only

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.