Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Water Damage Question.....HELP!!!!!!

My brother recently dropped a little bit of water on the top portion of the keyboard on his macbook unibody alluminum. A1278 I believe is the model number. (late 2008 macbook). Anyways he did about everything your not suppose to do. From what he tells me it turned off automatically, then he tried turning it back on with it kicking on for a second before turning off again, he then unplugged the battery, hit it with a hairdryer for an hour or so and kept trying to turn it on with no luck. (fail,fail,fail)

Next he called me since im pretty tech savy and had me take a look at it. I took apart the back peice and inspected the motherboard fairly well. I didnt dissassemble the motherboard to look at the backside (top) but I couldnt see any corrosion. I put it together and plugged it in. The charger light on the magsafe adaptor turns green for a couple seconds then turns orange like it normally should but when I go to turn it on......nothing. I click the battery indicator button and the first green dot goes on and off 3 times before fading away but still no power when trying to turn it on. I pulled the battery out to see if it would start without the battery and after clicking the indicator light it goes green back and forth a few times before turning off but still no power when pressing the power button.

Kinda lost with what I should do at this point. My brother doesnt have much cash to fix this problem. I found a company locally that will clean the logic board for around $60 but havent sent it to them yet. Not even sure if that will work. I also found a few people on ebay that charge around $200 to fix the logic board. Im also wondering if it could be the battery itself that needs to just be replaced or if since I tried it without the battery its probably not the problem. Any advice would be awesome. Thanks everyone

Posted on Feb 28, 2012 1:15 PM

2 replies

Water Damage Question.....HELP!!!!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.