Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro EFI Firmware Update 2.7 causing repeated crashing?

I installed MacBook Pro EFI Firmware Update 2.7 last night and now my early 2011 17" MBP running snow leopard 10.6.8 crashes repeatedly needing a hard restart each time. It's crashed once last night and nine times so far today. Is this a known issue and can I go back to an older firmware? I'm not sure which firmware my computer was running before the update but I've never seen the black screen of death on it untill last night.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Feb 28, 2012 12:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2012 12:43 PM

Exactly how are you running SL on a late 2011 MacBook Pro, since none of those computers shipped with SL? Further, EFI 2.7 requires Lion 10.7.3 or later. The issue is you've installed an EFI on a computer with a non-supported OS...that's why your system is screwed up.

30 replies

Feb 28, 2012 1:00 PM in response to crknutsen

I strongly suggest you make an appointment at an Apple store...you do not want to screw with firmware...you run the real risk of having to replace your logic board. I hope you have a backup of your system prior to installing this update, as the geniuses will most likely have to wipe your hard drive. I'd suggest updating to Lion in an effort to fix this, but honestly don't know if that will work, hence my suggestion to make an appointment at an Apple store.

Feb 29, 2012 1:38 AM in response to wjosten

What are you talking about, wjosten? First, he said in his original post that he had an EARLY 2011 MacBook Pro. Those WERE shipped with Snow Leopard. I have one. Second, I have the same machine, still running Snow Leopard, and Apple Update has notified me to Install MacBook Pro EFI Firmware Update 2.7.

So wjosten, are you saying that Apple Update is defective, it's wrong, and doesn't know what it's doing?

UPDATE a few minutes later ---

Guess you ARE right, wjosten, and it's Apple Update that stupid and dangerous.

According to Apple Support http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1499

System Requirements are for

OS X Lion 10.7.3 or later!

I wonder how many MacBook Pro 2011 users are getting screwed by Apple this time.

Fortunately, I did not do this update before searching the web for warnings after I had a pervious glitch caused by a firmware update.

This is crazy!

Feb 29, 2012 1:41 AM in response to psyscott

psyscott wrote:

What are you talking about, wjosten? First, he said in his original post that he had an EARLY 2011 MacBook Pro.

The OP edited his/her original post. Originally he/she stated "late" model. Notice the correction in his/her second post?

Please provide a reference or link to an Apple source that says this firmware update ONLY WORKS ON LION.

Never stated it only "works on Lion"...re-read. I stated "requires" Lion. Read here under "system requirements":

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1499

Feb 29, 2012 2:36 AM in response to psyscott

I've had a screen blink on my late 2011 MBP (OSX 10.6.8), not serious, nothing other than some blinks. I've been reading the posts about that but stopped because it was all so unsuccessful. Last night my inbox went crazy about the subject, didn't read until today (in Ireland, time zone same as London) -- and there was the recommendation to run software update, etc. So I jumped right on that, ran it, found the fix, installed it -- and here's more trouble? -- But maybe not. I just checked. What I installed was MacBook Pro EFI Firmware Update 2.8. 2.8 -- My blinking problem was never very severe and was intermittent, so I can't say it's gone, but I had no problem downloading, installing, restarting. Will comment if something different happens. (It's leprechauns!)

Feb 29, 2012 2:41 AM in response to sdaniel5

Much panic about firmware fix 2.7. From CNET news, note the number:

After releasing these updates, Apple has issued another update for the MacBook Pro (version 2.7 was released on Saturday; this is version 2.8), which addresses a problem in which 15-inch models from late 2008 developed flickering displays. This fix is only applicable to the 2008 model.Read more: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57387094-263/macbook-pro-efi-update-fixes-f lickering/#ixzz1nlYXGWs4

Feb 29, 2012 7:53 AM in response to wjosten

"Never stated it only "works on Lion"...re-read. I stated "requires" Lion. Read here under "system requirements":"

1. What's the difference?

2. If it won't install without Lion, what happend to crknutsen's Macbook, who claims to have installed it on snow leopard?

3. Why is Apple telling me to install it on my Macbook with snow leopard?

Are there any other threads or support notices to explain any of this.

Thanks.

Feb 29, 2012 8:05 AM in response to crknutsen

Hi there, I super me to Mac, think I just did the upgrade this morning. Evening Ike it keep shutting down by it own. Was thinking it was over heated but after reading this post,it seem simailar to me too.

So what to do, I have not done backup yet!

My Mac had shut down on it own about 4-5 time, will try tomorrow and see if it ok a not!

Helpppppppp!

Mar 1, 2012 6:54 AM in response to crknutsen

My machine is locking under specific conditions:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,2

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 2 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 8 GB

Boot ROM Version: MBP81.0047.B27

SMC Version (system): 1.69f3

When I leave to go to work in the morning I close the screen on the notebook. My drive to work is about 15 - 20 minutes. When I get to work I open the MacBookPro back up and connect an external monitor via a ThunderBolt adapter. The machine will start to add the new monitor, then lock up (this is two mornings in a row). The screen will be partially redrawn and have a blue background (the desktop on the MacBook Pro screen is solid green and the external is a dark green).

When the machine is frozen, I cannot get the caps lock to change state, nor can I change the volume, or brightness.

MacBook Pro EFI Firmware Update 2.7 causing repeated crashing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.