Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail now having trouble with exchange server

Hi There,

We use a hosted exhange server for email which has been working fine for the last year but all of a sudden we seem to be having issues copnnecting - Mail just sits there with the spining animation and the Activity window displaying a variety of messages such as:

"Syncing Inbox"

"Requesting latest information"
"Traversing mailbox hierarchy"

"Adding messages"

I've talked to our provider and they say nothing's changed their end but we're seeing this issue several times a day accross both 10.7 and 10.6 macs and in different locations (work, home and when traveling).

Normally a restart will fix the issue but I know have a Mac that is just stuck - and a restart doesn't work.

Does anyone know how I might trouble shoot this issue and how I can help our provider to understand what might be happening on the Mac side?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Ben

Posted on Feb 28, 2012 1:05 PM

4 replies

Feb 28, 2012 6:09 PM in response to Ben Sciascia

OK, so our host has a legacy version of exchange (2007) which they're recommending we try.

But when I try to change the internal/external addressed to the legacy server in Mail prefs, Mail ignores the address I've entered and uses the previous address (I can see it in the connection window).

Is there a way to force mail to use a different address for an existing exchange account - like via the terminal?

Any help would be much appreciated - I want to avoid deleting the account and re-creating it as it takes about a week before all my mail is synced.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Ben

Feb 28, 2012 6:43 PM in response to Ben Sciascia

So changed back to the owa exchange address and restarted.

I checked the SSL certificate for our privider and noticed it wasn't trusted anymore so via the keychain utility I manually trusted it and I now only have 3 things in the Activity window instead of about 30.

For the moment it looks like things are syncing although my inbox is empty.

Feb 28, 2012 7:56 PM in response to Ben Sciascia

So things are kind of working but it still requires me to quit mail every so often as things freeze (like when filing an email to a mailbox on the exhchange server) - when I reopen, things work.

Does anyone know how to:
- Trouble shoot and fix the connection so it works more reliably
- Make Mail work when you click the little reply arrow next to a message

Cheers

Ben

Feb 29, 2012 12:04 PM in response to Ben Sciascia

So it looks like the issue was an untrusted certificate as overnight, all my email is back.

However, any messages that came in during that time can't be filed or even deleted - I see this error:

The message “Re:message subject"” could not be moved to the mailbox “Actioned — email@domain.co.nz

An error occurred while moving messages to mailbox “Actioned — email@domain.com

Does any one know what the problem might be?

Cheers

Ben

Mail now having trouble with exchange server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.