Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Too many Airplay devices

We have a school full of AppleTVs/Projectors which we communicate with using iPads and Airplay. When you bring up the list of Airplay devices on an iPad, it is huge. We only want each teacher to see the AppleTV in their own classroom. We were hoping to distribute the list using multiple Airports with different SSIDs but this doesn't work because they are all on the same underlying network.

Is there a way to limit the list of Airplay devices one sees on the iPad?

Apple TV (2nd generation)

Posted on Feb 28, 2012 2:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2012 2:44 PM

No, all the Apple TV's on the network will be listed.

12 replies

Feb 29, 2012 6:51 AM in response to Jesse Diaz

Thanks for the input. Passwords are set which keeps teachers from accidentally taking over a projector in another room but the list of all devices still shows up on every iPad. I hope Apple adds the ability to limit devices at some point. This is the perfect set up for schools but unusable in large schools because of the number of Airplay devices. Thanks!

Jun 25, 2012 9:30 AM in response to ajman216

We hooked up about 15 AppleTVs. The list of Airplay devices on the iPad becomes scrollable so it looks like it won't be a problem to have many devices but I'm not sure if there is an upper limit. It is a pain to have to scroll through the list and we hope that Apple adds better management functions for Airplay but for now it is working well. We have tested bandwidth (1 airport extreme for six appleTVs) by sending HD video to all devices at the same time using multiple ipads and it worked well. We have not tried to send to multiple devices from one iPad. I can't think of a way to do this but let us know if you figure something out. Good luck!

Jul 16, 2012 6:39 AM in response to BoulderTeacher

I was wondering about this myself, being a teacher.

I think the better option (for privacy), would be to either create an ad hoc network for your classroom.

One thing i do is plug in a airport express station and have all devices connect to this. As soon as I'm done, I unplug it and take it with me. It's easy to set up (e.g. you can add a password): just the AirPort utility app. It's on all macs and may be on all iOS devices too. If you can't find it, just download it free from the App store: http://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/airport-utility/id427276530?mt=8

Jul 16, 2012 6:38 AM in response to BoulderTeacher

I like the Ad-Hoc recommendation.

That said, I would also broach the topic with I.T. and tell them you need to have firewalls put in place for certain nodes so not everything is discoverable (certain connections can't reach other certain connections). This is better than any privacy/password setting on the unit, and your computers will only show the unit(s) they should.

You could also do this with VLAN's, but I doubt they want to have every room on a VLAN for a variety of reasons.

Jul 16, 2012 6:57 AM in response to devryoctane

If the computer techs at BoulderTeacher's school are as competent and willing to help as they are at my school district...then it will take a while to say the least.

The easier way (while not the best solution), in the short and medium term, may be an ad hoc network.

Also, the suggestion of having firewalls in place implies that the school owns all hardware. In reality, there is a growing number of students who bring their own devices. This is a hot topic in certain Canadian schools as the moment (it relieves the school from buying and maintaining additional hardware). I'm quite surprised Apple's marketing is not more aggressive on selling the idea of AirPlay to classrooms and finding solutions to avoid issues like those. Whatever happened to selling "dreams" as Steve Jobs used to say? The devices are there, but the solutions are not obvious to most users. I can imagine a lot of other teachers have similar problems. Finding a solution that fits all needs is not easy.

Apple, time to speak to your marketing team. They could try to sell both Apple TV and Airport Express to education touting its advantages and ease of use. For now, it seems that the marketing is very generic and not aimed at education.

Too many Airplay devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.