Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I ran iTunes Match, deleted some originals and re-downloaded from the Cloud - now no songs!

As above, I purchased and ran iTunes Match on my entire music collection (10,005 songs) and several tracks were low bitrate so I used this as an opportunity to download a better quality copy from iTunes. I took the following steps:

1. Let iTunes Match complete;

2. Deleted the original tracks using a Smart Playlist with the rules "Bitrate <256kbps" and "iTunes Match is Matched";

3. Set all of the playlist re-downloading using iTunes Match.

Now my iTunes is saying iTunes cannot locate any of the files and, sure enough, there is no copy of the songs are on hard drive. What is more is I don't have the option to download them from the cloud - they still display in my music list but with the exclamation mark next to them.

What's happened? And what can I do?

Windows 7

Posted on Feb 28, 2012 2:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2012 3:39 PM

It's possible that for some reason (there are several possibilities) these songs were never added to the cloud. Were these songs purchased from iTunes originally? And if so, were they purchased using the same account you just subscribed to iTunes match with?

11 replies

Feb 28, 2012 4:04 PM in response to Astraeus

It looks to me as if the files haven't been deleted from iTunes correctly. As a result iTunes thinks there should be a local copy and is therefore not looking to the cloud at all. That would be why there is no download option and, if the files have moved that will explain the exclamation mark

You did delete them through iTunes didn't you? The most common reason for this problem has been where people have just removed the files (or the disk they are on) from outside of iTunes.

Try right clicking a file in iTunes and using Get Info. This should give the location where iTunes believes the file is. If it gives a file reference that is on your computer then this will confirm the problem.

If that is the case then try deleting it again from within iTunes (make sure you don't delete it from the cloud). You may well find that this gets rid of the exclamation mark and gives you the download option.

Feb 29, 2012 10:32 AM in response to ChuckTommervik

Some of the songs were purchased from iTunes but the majority were ones which I had ripped from CDs. I received all of the confirmation notices indicating that my iTunes files had been matched or uploaded.

Keith, when click the "Get Info", it refers to files within folders where the folders still exist. I can't delete the folders wholesale though as many contain songs which weren't matched and to go through them individually would take days.

I have done as you suggested in deleting them from iTunes and then re-downloading them. That appears to have worked for the few files on which I have attempted it. But does this mean I'll have to re-download all of them? I'm not fond of that idea as I'm using all of my monthly download allowance to do so!!

Feb 29, 2012 10:45 AM in response to Astraeus

OK, That would seem to confirm to me that the files haven't been deleted properly from iTunes.

To fill in all the gaps you have two options. Either you can download as you did with these few, but as you say it will use up bandwidth (you were always going to come up against this problem, even if they had deleted properly).

Alternatively, you could restore some of them from your backup for now, and then re-delete and download over time, as your bandwidth allows.

To restore them from your backup, you should just need to replace the songs into their original positions and hopefully iTunes will just find them.

Feb 29, 2012 10:50 AM in response to KeithJenner

I know what the problem is now. I just deleted all of the files from within iTunes and then it allowed me to download them or play them from the Cloud. However it did tell me that "Your iTunes library cannot be saved. There is not enough memory". I could, however, still play songs from the Cloud and there was no exclamation mark. Quit iTunes and restart it and all the exclamation marks are back.

A problem anyone has encountered? Or shall I just do this bit-by-bit and hope it can save my library file?

Feb 29, 2012 12:59 PM in response to Astraeus

Are you sure the exact wording of the error message said "not enough memory?" Because that generally means RAM not HDD space. If the HDD were full the wording would be different.

At any rate you should check the amount of free space you have on your HDD. Ideally you should keep about 10% free. Otherwise you'll start seeing OS and application instability and could even even experience data loss.

Another trouble shooting step is to launch Disk Utility run repair permissions. Do this with no applications running.

I ran iTunes Match, deleted some originals and re-downloaded from the Cloud - now no songs!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.