Skip navigation

Can't open folders on a network

269 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Feb 28, 2012 7:57 PM by fane_j RSS
Guy Burns Level 2 Level 2 (345 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Feb 28, 2012 6:47 PM

This seems to be a new problem, only appearing since I have moved from my G5 (10.4.11) to a new iMac (10.6.8).

When I access another Mac via Airport (using Safari and typing in an address such as afp://192.168.1.3), I can access the other Mac by typing in the password, its disk will appear on my Desktop, but a small red dash appears in User folders such as Desktop, and if I try to open the folder it says I don't have permission.

How do I get around this? I should ahve permission for everything because all the Macs involved are mine.

Another thing: I know Macs are smart, but how on earth did it know to put a red dash in this post, when all I did was type in a dash surrounded by brackets?

• fane_j Level 4 Level 4 (3,655 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 28, 2012 7:57 PM (in response to Guy Burns)

Guy Burns wrote:

a small red dash appears in User folders

You can only access the folders which the user account you used to log in to the remote Mac is allowed to access. The icon says this account does not have the permission to read the folder you're trying to read. If this worked with the previous OS version, it means you had custom permissions, which were re-set when you upgraded the OS.

how on earth did it know

It's a new function introduced in Snow Leopard. It's called ESP (extra sensorial perception, or mind-reading).

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.