Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HELP !

Everytime i try to log in to ichat it says my password is incorrect or it can't communicate with my email... Does anyone know what i should do considering i have the right password in?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Feb 28, 2012 7:01 PM

9 replies

Feb 29, 2012 2:28 PM in response to Psadler

Hi,

What ID are you trying to out in which choice of iChat Account ?

In the top section you can use an AIM name, @mac.com name or MobileMe name.

The @mac.com and MobileMe Apple IDs that are also Valid AIM Screen Names have to have passwords of 26 characters or less to work with the AIM servers.

Other Apple IDs are not Valid AIM names as well (Unless you have registered them at AIM)

It sounds like you are getting a Message about the issue from the AIM servers.

If it is any other name type then please post with more info.

User uploaded file
10:28 PM Wednesday; February 29, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Lion 10.7.3)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Feb 29, 2012 6:21 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Hi, thank Ralph, but okay ill try to explain it to you...because i am still having issues with this.

So i go to my applications and click ichat, and when i do this small box shows up, has my picture and at the top it says aim buddy list, and under my name it says offline. Then once I change myself to available, this box cmes up that says aol instant messagner login. Please enter your login id and password for aol instannt messagener. under that it says

login ID:

password:

so of course i put my email and password. Then it says not connecting with aol user or wrong user or pass. and when i click forgot password and change it, i login again but it says the same thing. !!!!!!

PLEASE HELP ME! THIS IS SO CONFUSING.

Mar 2, 2012 12:21 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Opps,

That 26 should have read 16 characters.

User uploaded file
8:21 PM Friday; March 2, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Mar 2, 2012 12:40 PM in response to Psadler

Hi,

So you are saying that once you have launched iChat and if you then chose the Menu for the app itself > Preferences > Accounts that the only one listed is Bonjour ?

I have never tried the way you seem to be describing (it seems you have no account set up and it is asking for an account/Screen name).

To be clear if you do have an name of some sort entered in the Accounts Section of the iChat Preferences it may have been "Accepted" as it matches format-wise (AIM will accept emails such as the Apple @mac.com or any other email address when you register)

The two sorts of Apple ID (@mac.com and @me.com) are obviously registered with Apple (normally before you get this far)

AIM names need to be registered before use in iChat.

The AIM registration page will not allow you to exceed the 16 character limit for passwords. (The Apple sites do).

If there is a Problem logging in then the message from the Server will be a generic "AIM" one whether you are using Apple IDs or AIM ones

Can you login in here ?

https://settings.aim.com/

This would highlight an issue with iChat, the Mac Firewall or your router and the ports iChat uses to Login in to AIM.

User uploaded file
8:40 PM Friday; March 2, 2012

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Mar 5, 2012 12:15 PM in response to Psadler

Hi,

If you are in iChat Menu > Preferences > Accounts and the only account listed is the Bonjour one then you have to Add a Account/Screen name.

NOTE

Everyone gets a Bonjour Account.

If Enabled it grabs your details (First Name, Last Name) from your Address Book and Send this to other Macs as your Buddy Name.

You click or press the + button to start the Add Account process

User uploaded file
Uploaded with Skitch!

You then get taken to this Pane

User uploaded file
Uploaded with Skitch!

Older versions also List @mac.com and MobileMe as variations on AIM valid Names.

Older pic

User uploaded file
Uploaded with Skitch!

You select the type of account/Screen Name you want to add and the fill in the text fields that are currently hidden.

If you were adding an AIM Name.

User uploaded file
Uploaded with Skitch!

The "No Button" comment refers to the fact that iChat 6 and Messages Beta do not have a Button to link to the @mac.com or AIM regstration pages.

Do you have a Screen Name registered that you can add ?

User uploaded file
8:15 PM Monday; March 5, 2012

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Mar 7, 2012 11:47 AM in response to Psadler

Thanks for the points.

User uploaded file
7:47 PM Wednesday; March 7, 2012

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

HELP !

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.