Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aluminum MacBook battery usage

So I purchased a new battery for my MacBook and I was wondering how often I should charge it. I know it isn't good to power cycle it all the time, but to use it frequently and lightly and keep the juices flowing. After a full charge, what should I let it fall to before charging it again, and what should I charge it back up to? I suppose there may not be a right or wrong answer here, either way, I'd appreciate any input. Also, I am considering using coolbook to lower my CPU usage and maximize my battery's life.

Thanks

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7.3), 2.4 Ghz, 8Gb RAM, 250GB HD

Posted on Feb 28, 2012 9:39 PM

2 replies

Feb 28, 2012 9:44 PM in response to upland13

upland13 wrote:

After a full charge, what should I let it fall to before charging it again, and what should I charge it back up to? I suppose there may not be a right or wrong answer here, either way, I'd appreciate any input.

I generally let it drain to 20% or just a bit lower, then charge it until it reaches 100% and don't unplug it again until I need to use it on battery power. Also, read this: http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html.

Feb 29, 2012 1:27 AM in response to upland13

You must not pay too much attention to a battery, nevertheless several recommendations only:

- once in a month, make a complete use of it until computer goes to sleep by itself, in that moment plug the charger, and keep it until LED is green + 2 hours; you must not exaggerate, once in a month, obviously without having a critical action when battery goes to 0 %

- do not keep it continuously with charger connected, make regular ups and downs

- keep battery at circa 50 % if not used for some time, but never for too long periods, e.g. months, it may die

Note that, in some (rare) instances, computer may not wake up if using step #1, this may be due to a system bug, but is not a critical one, usually it is solved by itself next time, is not regular.

Aluminum MacBook battery usage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.