Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is FaceTime unreliable?

I have triple checked my FaceTime configuration and everything is proper. In fact, every once and a while it works perfectly. Aside from those few occassions I experience the following:

1. I call my partner. I get 40 or 50 rings on my end. She answers after two rings on her end.

2. I call my partner. I get 40 or 50 rings and then it says she is unavailable. I immediatly place another call and she answers after a couple of rings. She doesn't register a missed call and she was right next to her iPod on my first attempt.

3. I'm sitting next to my iPod and get a call from my partner. I answer it on the second ring. She asks where I've been. This is her third or fourth call in the past 5 minutes, the others without reaching me. I register no missed calls. I didn't get a ring on any of the previous attempts.

FaceTime used to be quite reliable but for the past couple of months the service has been going downhlll. Could it be that Apple is simply swamped with FaceTime activity?

I'd be interested in knowing if others are experiencing degraded service. Yes, some would say it's free so why complain. Well, in my case FaceTime was the primary reason I spent $600.00 on two iPod Touches.

iPod touch, iOS 4.3.2, 4G, 2010 Prius -w- nav screen

Posted on Feb 28, 2012 8:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 8, 2012 10:29 PM

Yes, I have exactly the same problem and, like you, I found the service used to be reliable. In my case I'm using an iPad 2 in Gibraltar and the other party is using an iPhone 4S in London.

3 replies

Jun 9, 2014 5:10 AM in response to AppleWhine

Same problem here. Some calls can be made successfully in both directions. Others only show up as missed calls on my mac, never rings, but will be received just fine on both iPhone and iPad. If i try to call back the email/number the other party never receives a call at all.

Facetime is a dissapointing and unreliable service.

"You want to take the time to get it right. Our objective has never been to be first. It's to be the best. To do things really well, it takes time. You can see a lot of products that have been brought to market where the thinking isn't really deep and, as a consequence, these things don't do very well. We don't do very many things so we spend a lot of time on every detail and that part of Apple isn't changing. It's the way we've operated for years and it's the way we still operate." Tim Cook

Why is FaceTime unreliable?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.