Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Open RTF files on Ipad 2 and/or iPhone 4S?

Hello,

for my work I receive 30 Mails with RTF Files Attachment.

I cannot ask to change the extention because they are comming from the Court.

If I transfer them to other APPS like Goodreader, Fileapp, etc it does not work either.

Please let me know how I am able to open them.

Many Thanks

Best regards

David

iPad 2, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Feb 29, 2012 12:50 AM

21 replies

Feb 29, 2012 4:02 AM in response to Ralph Landry1

Thanks for answering!

In the link it does not say anything about rtf.

I just changed the Extention on the PC from rtf to doc and sent it to the iPad.

And now the file open without problem.

WHY APPLE IS CUTTING THIS EXTENTION (RTF) TO WORK ON THEIR DEVICES?

The problem is to change all the time the extention to be able to see the file!

Best

David

Feb 29, 2012 5:01 AM in response to davidfromzaragoza

The support site claims it can open the file. I have another app that is called Save 2 PDF. It will open .rtf files. I just tried it and it works. It will open the file and you can read it and print it if you have the helper app on your computer that you need with Save 2 PDF, but you cannot edit the file.

I'm not sure why you are not having any success opening these files in apps that claim to work with .rtf files. I know of no app that will edit them, but open and view them, these apps are supposed to be able to do that.

Contact Documents to Go support and see what they say if you tried it and it doesn't work.

Jul 6, 2012 10:08 AM in response to davidfromzaragoza

This is interesting. I was on a recent trip using my iPad for the first time which has Pages installed. The assumption was made that Pages would at least open all extensions Word uses--not (apparently). I received an email with a .rtf file attached and it would not open. I wish I had thought to see if I could rename it in the iPad as a .doc file to see if that would open and read properly. (Being able to edit the .rtf file was not so important.)

Otherwise, it is obvious that we need a means to at least open .rtf files and Pages is obviously what Apple should add this file extension to!

Open RTF files on Ipad 2 and/or iPhone 4S?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.