Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

never ending secure erase

About a week ago I enabled FV1. Overnight, the encryption and deletion of the original folder appeared to complete.

However, I now have a never ending 'Secure Erase' process showing up in Activity monitor. By never-ending, I mean its always there, although as far as I can tell the secure erase process finished days ago (and surely, on 54GB home folder, it shouldn't take this long anyway). In any case, Finder shows my disk space as freed already.

I'm not experiencing any lag in the system, no increased fan speed or temp; in fact, the only way I know its happening is because it

i. appears in AM and Top

ii. it strips the life out of my battery when I'm not on AC Power.

I've tried re-booting to no effect. I've even tried killing the process but it just restarts itself.

In Finder from within Snow Leopard, I see two home folder images. There is one with a home icon that appears to be an alias. 'Get Info' says it has 0MB size. There is another 'no access' folder whose size is indeterminate, as Finder never completes the 'Calculating' process.

However, looking at these same two folders from Lion (on another partition), the folder with the home icon shows up as a 54GB sparse bundle. The folder with no access remains inaccessible and of indeterminate size.

View from Lion of the Snow Leopard partition:

User uploaded file

The issue is not critical. If the worst comes to the worst I can wipe this disk and re-install from a clone, but I'd rather find a better solution, if possible. Also, I'd like to understand what's going on or how I've caused the problem as I'm sure it's not supposed to work this way.

Any suggestions?

Posted on Feb 29, 2012 1:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 29, 2012 2:38 AM

Never mind, fixed it.

Booted back into Snow Leopard. Clicked on the 'no access' folder and hit 'Command-delete' on the keyboard.

Filevault then told me my home folder had now been successfully encrypted (still, can't help wondering why FV didn't do that bit itself... 😠 ).

1 reply

never ending secure erase

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.