Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Proxy authentication required - pops up randomly

I've recently joined/binded to our domain. All appears to be working as expected, thanks to help here. Although one message keeps popping up in the finder at random moments. Doesn't seem related to anything that is being done at the time. It says Proxy authenication required. Authentication for HTTP proxy my.proxy.name and has username and password to be filled in.

Where/what logs can be viewed to determine what program is wanting to get thru the proxy? I'm guessing it is an auto-update of something but I've turned everything off that I can find and it still is popping up. Hoping a log somewhere will tell me what is trying to gain access so I can turn off the attempt.

Thanks,

John

Posted on Feb 29, 2012 6:59 AM

1 reply

Feb 29, 2012 7:14 AM in response to John_C

Ho ho!!! You hit the mother of all Lion annoyances... So this one is a deep one that no one that I know of has a complete resolution for. The reason you are seeing this is that you have authenticated proxy and the proxy is not configured for Kerberos authentication. Now, the processes that are causeing this to happen are UserBroketAgent, Dashboard widgets, the help system (distributed on Akami), and notifications.

You can try redirecting help.apple.com to localhost in you hosts file.

You can try disabling /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.cfnetwork.AuthBrokerAgent.plist

You can try disabling /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.UserNotificationCenter.plist

See here for additional commentary https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3259747?start=0&tstart=0

So far, none of these completely resolve it or, they result in side effects that are worse. For example, if you disable AuthBrokerAgent, you break the communication to the Keychain frameworks and you have to permit each call into the keychain. If you disable the UserNotificationCenter, then you can not use Apple's built in VPN.

This one has been plaguing me for a while and AppleCare has been no help. This issue alone may make a Mac pilot program fail.

If you are not using the Apple built in VPN, disable the UserNotificationCenter LaunchD item. Then reboot and retest.

Good luck.

Proxy authentication required - pops up randomly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.