Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Embedded not Attachments - infuriating!

Has anyone worked out why sometime when you attach a jpeg it will be received by the client at an embedded image (which cannot be right-clicked and saved as jpg) and sometimes at a traditional attachment... It really is infuriating for both the sender and the receiver.

I am clicking the 'attach' icon and not dragging

I have 'send Windows friendly attachments' box checked in the dialogue window.

The most annoying thing it this didn't used to happen. I'd never had this experience in Tiger or Leopard (I think). Am not sure about Snow Leopard. It's definitely happening in Lion. Most people are running PC's with Microsoft Outlook. That's a fact of life. This is a major problem for us using our Mac to do business.

I've only ever solved this via a very messy and not particular useful workaround - Open a fresh email. Get rid of the automatic Plain Text signature. Enter email address of recipient, enter a subject, click attach icon and do not write ANYTHING in the message field or even put your cursor in it. Also send messages like this one at a time.

Has anyone got any advice on how to solve this via Terminal or know if it's an identified bug that will as some point be fixed?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Feb 29, 2012 7:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 29, 2012 7:51 AM

You will probably find this answer infuriating, but it's true: There is nothing you can do to guarantee how the client email application (formally known as a mail user agent or MUA) will handle multipart messages; IOW, ones with any kind of attachment besides plain text ones.

The problem is not in anything Mail.app or OS X does but in the accepted industry standards for handling multipart messages. It's called MIME & it intentionally does not specify how the MUA should display attachments. The best you can do is make sure the MIME Content-Disposition is set to "attachment" rather than "inline" if you do not want it to appear as if it was embedded (inline) with the text content of the message, but there is nothing you can do about it if the receiving MUA is programmed to ignore the Content-Disposition header (& many are not).

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 29, 2012 7:51 AM in response to frossman

You will probably find this answer infuriating, but it's true: There is nothing you can do to guarantee how the client email application (formally known as a mail user agent or MUA) will handle multipart messages; IOW, ones with any kind of attachment besides plain text ones.

The problem is not in anything Mail.app or OS X does but in the accepted industry standards for handling multipart messages. It's called MIME & it intentionally does not specify how the MUA should display attachments. The best you can do is make sure the MIME Content-Disposition is set to "attachment" rather than "inline" if you do not want it to appear as if it was embedded (inline) with the text content of the message, but there is nothing you can do about it if the receiving MUA is programmed to ignore the Content-Disposition header (& many are not).

Feb 29, 2012 7:52 AM in response to frossman

Either way, it's exactly the same attached file. The difference is the user and mail client on the other end. Some clients will display attached images inline, others will display them as attachments, and many allow the user to choose which way to do things. You cannot control that.

Also, note that because it's attached to the e-mail either way, images displayed inline should be capable of being saved to the hard drive. Howeer, many users do not understand how to do that. If you know of a specific mail client that does not allow saving of inline images, that mail client is... well, I'll keep the language clean here and say "bad," though that does not express the full depth of disgust I would feel for such a program. 😉

Feb 29, 2012 8:10 AM in response to R C-R

Thanks for the info. Am reading up on an Application called Attachment Tamer that might help my problem. I understand that the client side is beyond my control, so it's just an annoying bug in general (not just a Mail) problem.

I don't mind the images appearing inline on client-side as long as they can be easily right clicked and saved. I think they're running Outlook 2010 but at the end of the day if it's not working how the client wants, maybe this App is the answer to my problem.

Cheers.

Feb 29, 2012 8:17 AM in response to frossman

Yup, I pretty well figured you were having trouble with recipients using Outlook, which is (IMHO) the worst piece of #*%&*#&% ever foisted off on customers by Microsoft... and, unfortunately, many of them eat it right up, because they don't know any better! The fact that it doesn't let you simply save embedded images as-is is worthy of much ridicule.

Here's one possible solution:

http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/saveembeddedpictures.htm

Also, there is evidently a Save As Picture option in Outlook 2010, though that does not sound as if it saves the original attached image.

Aug 29, 2013 11:21 AM in response to frossman

It's easy. The problem is when you copy and paste for your email signature instead of typing in your email signature. It has something to do with HTML??? When I removed the copy and pasted portion of my email signature, presto! All of the pictures I sent from my phone started coming over as jpeg attachments instead of being imbedded in the email.

Embedded not Attachments - infuriating!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.