Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wiretap Gateway anonymous User. How to get rid of Autodesk "behind my back installs"

In the Sharing and Permissions pane of the (cmd+i shortcut) window I see "Wiretap Gateway anonymous user" how can I get rid of this? I believe I comes from Autodesk Smoke but I'm not sure. When I look for it in my preferences I see nothing and even the terminal shows no "ghost users"

I'm sick and tired of Autodesk Applications not telling me what it's installing but even more so about it's inability to not completely deinstall all related files?!

User uploaded file

Can someone help me with this? I'm at the end of my rope…

Thanks

Phil

Posted on Feb 29, 2012 9:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 29, 2012 12:05 PM

It's a hidden user. If you remove it, your Autodesk product may stop working.

5 replies

Mar 1, 2012 5:52 AM in response to GothicMac

Back up all data if you haven’t already done so. Before proceeding, you must be sure you can restore your system to the state it’s in now.

Launch the application

/System/Library/CoreServices/Directory Utility.app

which you can do by selecting the above line in your browser, right-clicking (or control-clicking), and selecting Services Open from the contextual menu.

In the application window, click the lock icon and authenticate. Select the Directory Editor tool in the toolbar. Select Users from the Viewing menu in the toolbar, if not already selected. Locate the user you want to delete in the list and click the minus (-) icon at the bottom. Select Groups from the Viewing menu, and look for a group in the list with the same name as the user you just deleted. If found, delete. Quit Directory Utility.

Be very careful when editing the directory. Many hidden users and groups are present by default, and are needed for normal operation of the Mac OS. Never delete or modify a directory entry unless you’re sure you know what you’re doing. If in doubt, leave it alone.

If you do this wrong, you may destroy your system.

Sep 2, 2016 7:28 PM in response to Linc Davis

Link,

Is there a way that someone could have used a wiretap gateway to hack into my computer? Then change the SYSTEM UPDATE SETTINGS from MANUAL (which I had selected by unchecking every box) to FULL AUTO PILOT APPLE can FU through the DRIVE THROUGH and install "9/2/2016 Security Update" without my approval? therefore changing my GRAPHICS CARD a TITAN X NVIDIA, webdrivers suddenly say "OH NO LONGER COMPATIBLE!!!!"

I know a person who FLASHES these GRAPHICS CARDS for a LIVING.

Lets just cut to the point...there was a misunderstanding about me selling a 2nd Graphics card to them for a certain price, with the option to have a FREE FLASH on my GRAPHICS CARD without paying their fee. It was written in an email. And between partners one played bad cop the other played
I dont want to go downstairs you deal with it....

So he huffed off after I wouldn't take the check they wrote me for a certain LESS amount,,,,,

and then gave me back both CARDS.....saying "HA! HAVE FUN WITH THAT!"

When I was simply trying to help them make a profit. They tried to take my generosity and pushed me into a corner where I had no other option but to leave with my UNFLASHED CARDS....

NOW.....They are fighting against this BRITISH company they think stole their flashing....

That is what they told me or I read on their site....

But my point is this....could this have been a REVENGE? or am I watching too many soap operas....and this could have been RESET by just ACCIDENT? resetting the PRAM? which I did at one time.....but still this card will not work until NVIDIA updates there drivers...or I find someone who can FLASH This thing for MAC...besides these Now enemies....who will not do business with me.

Can you also tell me why Apple took away my YOSEMITE download?

I have MOUNTAIN LION and MAVERICKS and then EL CAPITAN....why then is YOSEMITE missing? when that was the one I last updated on my laptop before it crashed?

I need YOSEMITE...but everyone says.....you can't get it unless you BIT TORRENT....

Because APPLE wants me to EL CAPITAN...

I can't because I invested into BLACKMAGIC DESIGN HD LINK and they told me LAST SOFTWARE UPDATE is OSX 10.10.5 period.....I use FCP 7 and PROTOOLS 10, and 11 on the same machine.....

All of this said....RESOLVE is also on here and I need the GRAPHICS CARD to just work....otherwise I can't use the computer only via VNC

I would pay you money to help me create a YOSEMITE 512GB SAMSUNG PCIe card FLASH DRIVE for the OS of a friends computer I am helping him to salvage his last hope of keeping from going under without having to sell his body on Craigslist.......oh the HORROR......having to prostitute your body because you can't afford a new MAC!!!!! icebucket version.....

We still like 5,1 and UPGRADED processors......hooray!!!!! a YOSEMITE BOOT USB stick I would pay for the service of installing in my computer.....in los angeles......if you are here....and can do it.....and just accidentally leave the usb install that would be great...

Any advice? I am grateful......

Link is the only APPLE MAN who can THINK......and THINK DIFFERENT.

Wiretap Gateway anonymous User. How to get rid of Autodesk "behind my back installs"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.